Learning and assessment
Training Modules consist of:
- group exercises
- class projects
- other online (WRDTP) and face-to-face delivery modes
Assessment strategies include individual papers, individual projects and reflective essays.
The development of the doctoral thesis will be guided by two supervisors and the assessment includes Viva Voce.
The School supports PhD students in a variety of ways. Most importantly, student support is via one-to-one guidance.
The Effective Learning Service is a dedicated facility within the Faculty of Management and Law, supporting our students to maximise their academic learning as well as help overseas students adapt quickly to UK education requirements.
Research-active staff undertake world-leading research that addresses management and organisational issues.
The School has a strong track record and capacity in publishing high-quality and impactful research outputs in internationally-reputable peer-reviewed journals. This led to our School's strong submission to and performance in REF2021, where we achieved:
- 100% of our research environments rated as conducive to producing research of World Leading (4*) and Internationally Excellent (3*) quality and enabling outstanding (4*) and very considerable (3*) impact, in terms of its vitality and sustainability.
- 83% of the impacts submitted were rated as Outstanding (4*) and Very Considerable (3*) impact in their reach and significance.
- 75% of the research outputs (journal publications) were rated as World Leading (4*) and Internationally Excellent (3*) in originality, significance, and rigour.
- 81% of the overall quality profile was rated as World Leading (4*) and Internationally Excellent (3*) in originality, significance, and rigour.
We promote interdisciplinary research, and we work together in themed research areas, collaborating with colleagues around the world. Currently, we have three academic departments:
- Accounting, Finance and Economics (AFE)
- Business Analytics, Circular Economy and Entrepreneurship (BACE)
- International Business, Marketing and Branding (IBMB)
Find out more on our research website.