Learning and assessment
- The course is made up of four blocks. You should start the course at the block which matches your IELTS score.
- There will be 20 hours of timetabled classes and learning activities each week.
- There will be a maximum of 16 students in each group and the focus will be on group and pair work as well as task-based sessions.
- All classes will concentrate on improving English vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and language skills as well as English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
- As well as studying reading, writing, listening and speaking skills, other classes will include seminar discussions, note-taking, essay and report-writing and exam techniques.
- There will be sessions on how to use the library resources and IT services.
- There will be a programme of social and cultural orientation events organised by staff in the International Study Centre.
- There will be more emphasis on EAP as students progress through the blocks.
- The final block will focus on the research and writing of academic texts, as well as presentation skills and the development of critical thinking skills.
You will be assessed at the end of each block, and must have successfully completed a block before progression to the next is permitted.
You should be a minimum CEFR Level B2 in all skills by the end of the course.
Which visa should I apply for?
Tier 4 visa
If you have a minimum overall IELTS score of 4.0 (with no sub-tests less than 4.0), you should apply for a Tier 4 visa.
Upon successful completion of the English language course, you may apply in your own country for the Tier 4 visa for your degree course, as long as there is not a gap of more than 3 months in between courses. This visa rule applies to English courses of more than 6 months but less than 12 months.
Short term student visa
If you have an overall score of IELTS 4.0 (with sub-tests less than 4.0) you should apply for a short term student visa and you may study 30 weeks of English from block 1.
Upon completion of the English language course, you must leave the UK to apply for the Tier 4 visa for your degree course from your home country.