Skip to content

About additional costs while studying

In many cases, costs associated with your course will be included in your course fee. 

However, in some cases there are ‘essential’ additional costs (those that you will be required to meet in addition to your course fee), and/or ‘optional’ additional costs (costs that are not required, but that you might choose to pay).

We have included those essential or optional additional costs that relate to your course on individual course pages.

Some of these costs that a student might incur, depending on your programme of study include:

  • Study abroad, work placements, field work, field trips – there will be travel, accommodation and subsistence costs
  • Attending conferences for postgraduate researchers
  • Professional body membership fees and / or exams
  • Clothing and equipment – for example specialist equipment such as stethoscopes and specialist and protective clothing
  • Materials that are specific to a project or piece of work including art materials and equipment
  • Assessment and skills days (healthcare)

In addition to costs associated with your course or programme of study, there are additional costs that you may incur as a student at the University. This is not an exhaustive list and some, or all, may be relevant to you. However, it is useful for you to be aware of the types of things you may have to pay for.

  • Printing and photocopying, details of the costs involved can be found on our website
  • Books – a wide range of resources, including most core texts, are available in the library or online. However, you may be required to or prefer to buy your own copy of key text books
  • Computers and laptops are available on campus in IT clusters, libraries and cafes. However, as there is limited provision you may find it useful to have your own PC, laptop or tablet which you can use around campus and in University halls of residences
  • Stationery
  • Overseas travel – additional costs associated with travelling overseas including immunisation and visas
  • Disclosure and barring service checks (formerly Criminal Service Bureau or CRB checks), this is required for certain jobs or voluntary work, for example working with children or in healthcare. These are normally covered by the University, however should you need a second or replacement certificate there will be a charge of £44. For more information visit the UK government website.
  • Graduation and the cost of hiring your gown for your degree ceremony
  • Clubs and societies – membership fee / subscription fees, a full list of clubs and societies and information on fees is available on the student union website.
  • Membership of the University sport and leisure facilities; you can take advantage of the on-campus health and fitness facility. See details of membership prices.
  • Childcare; The University has an on-campus nursery facility which students with children can access. The prices associated with this can be found on the nursery website

There are other general living costs which you will need to budget for.