Our appointments are impartial, confidential and conducted in privacy, and are open to University of Bradford students and recent graduates.
You can get started with a 15-minute 'quick query' or book a 45-minute appointment for a more in-depth discussion.
Our drop-in service is available every weekday from 10:00–12:00 and 13:00-15:00.
We can help you with:
- Getting initial feedback on your CV or covering letter
- Developing your CV
- Researching your career
You can come in without an appointment during the above times or reserve a slot online.
- these appointments are face-to-face only (for telephone and email appointments please book a 45 minute appointment)
- you may need to wait a little while if you have not reserved in advance.
- drop-in sessions are held in an semi-open area so may not suitable for discussing confidential matters.
At the end of your 15 minutes you may be offered a longer guidance appointment for more specialist advice about specific career areas or guidance on the content of your CV.
30 minute appointments
You can book a 30 minute appointment if you want help with:
- finding and applying for part-time jobs
- feedback on your CV or covering letter (after you have used our drop-in service for initial feedback)
- getting started with any aspect of your career planning
- finding work experience or internships
- finding and applying for your industrial placement year
- feedback on your personal statement or application form questions
- a general discussion on how to prepare for interview
45 minute guidance appointments
You can book a 45 minute appointment if you want help with:
- exploring your career ideas and the range of options open to you
- getting feedback on your CV and covering letter (after you have used our drop-in service for initial feedback)
- preparing for an interview
- a mock interview (please be aware mock interviews need to be booked at least two days in advance to allow us to prepare)
- preparing for assessment centres
- exploring course difficulties and a possible course change
MBA guidance appointments
We also offer appointments via phone, email and Skype if you are not in Bradford - please get in touch for more details.
Please quote your full name, course and UB number when making a booking.
See more about our services for MBA students.
We would always prefer to see you in person, but if you are not in Bradford and can't come in, we can still offer our services by email, phone or Skype.
All our off campus appointments can be booked online using the following method:
Firstly select a suitable 45 minute In-depth careers appointment, then follow the instructions for your preferred option:
- For email advice, make sure you clearly state EMAIL APPOINTMENT in 'your appointment request' - you can attach up to three documents to be checked. You should get email feedback by the end of the chosen appointment time.
- For a telephone appointment, make sure you clearly state TELEPHONE APPOINTMENT in 'your appointment request' and remember to include a contact phone number – the adviser will contact you at the stated appointment start time.
- For a Skype appointment, please state SKYPE APPOINTMENT in 'your appointment request' and please include your Skype username and email address linked to your Skype account. The adviser will contact you at the stated appointment start time.
Skype is available as a free download, please visit the Skype website for more information.
If you are outside the UK, please bear in mind the potential time difference between GMT and your location.
Can I book more than one appointment?
It’s fine to book appointments for different reasons, for example if you’re thinking about your careers options and also looking for part-time work; but if you want more than one appointment for the same subject we ask that you book a follow up after your first appointment if you still think you need more time with an adviser.
Can two of us share an appointment?
No - we only see one person at a time to make sure every individual gets the most out of their appointments.
Can you check my spelling and grammar / proofread my application?
It is up to you to ensure your spelling and grammar is accurate and we do not offer any kind of proofreading service. The language centre and academic skills advice service may be able to offer some help with your writing skills.
I'm just getting started with my CV but I've got a few questions...
Come along to one of our drop-in sessions, available every weekday from 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm (there's no need to book). We're here to answer your questions and point you towards loads of useful resources.
Can you help me find a placement?
Yes, book an appointment with one of our Employer and Placement Services team for advice on options for your sandwich year placements.
Our employability advisers are here to talk to you about our Summer Experience programme offering six-week paid placements, other internship options and our graduate internship opportunities.
Our career consultants can also help you with your applications for placements.
Can you help me find a part-time job?
Yes, book an appointment with an employability adviser.
I'm not in Bradford but I need help...
We can help you! See our off-campus advice details.
What if I've booked an appointment but can no longer attend?
That's not a problem, but please let us know as soon as you can - the best way to do this is to cancel your appointment on your My Career and Employability Centre dashboard.
Do I need to bring anything with me?
It's helpful if you bring printed copies of your CV, covering letter and applications, as it's generally easier than accessing and reading it online.
If you are signing a contract for work on campus, here's what you should bring with you.
I've booked a mock interview, what do I need to send over to you?
When you book your appointment online, you get the option to upload up to 3 documents - please include job description, person specification and any other details you have about the interview. The adviser will contact you if they need any further information to prepare for your appointment.
How do I know which is the best appointment for me?
Feel free to come and see us at a drop-in session every weekday from 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm where we can answer your initial queries and advise on who to speak to next.
Where do I go?
We're at the top of the stairs in Student Central (floor 0). Please let the MyBradford desk know you have arrived and we will collect you from the waiting area.
- if you are late, the adviser may refuse to see you if it affects other appointments
- you cannot get support for academic course work through these appointments. Contact your module tutor directly if you require any help with an assignment. You can also get study skills help from the Academic Skills Advice service.
- We encourage you to take your own notes at your guidance appointments. Any notes a career consultant takes in your appointment are stored confidentially and destroyed after two years in accordance with the University confidentiality policy.
- We keep a confidential record of your visit on our client database. This helps us to keep in touch with you and is limited to the nature of your enquiry.
Codes of practice
See our student and graduate customer service statement and other statements of service.
We conform to the shared values of guidance as identified in the AGCAS Code of Practice on Guidance, Appendix A.