About the programme
Summer Experience is our summer placement programme in local businesses and organisations for first or second year University of Bradford undergraduates.
You will be paid a training allowance of £300 per week (subject to National Insurance and Tax reductions).
The internships can take place anytime from late May (after the exam period) to September and will be six weeks full-time work (or part-time equivalent).
This is a great opportunity to gain meaningful work experience that will enhance your CV.
Who is Summer Experience for?
Any current first or second year undergraduate student of the University of Bradford (you must be returning for at least one more academic year).
You must be eligible to work full time in the UK during the vacation period. If you are an international student please check your Visa status for working during vacations, for most students studying a typical 3 or 4 year undergraduate programme you are likely to have eligibility. If you are unsure about your eligibility to work, please seek advice from the International Student Adviser and check the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.
We welcome applications from disabled students/students with dyslexia to help provide valuable work experience.
If you have any questions about your eligibility to apply for these projects please get in touch via email: email@example.com.
Applications now closed
We are no longer accepting applications for Summer Experience 2019, but the programme will open again in Spring 2020.
How does it work?
Summer Experience projects are full-time placements based within local and regional businesses, charities and organisations, which typically start at the end of May or into June or July. There is a minimum requirement to work six weeks but there may be an opportunity to work longer.
In addition to providing you with an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work experience within a local business or enterprise, the summer experience scheme also provides you with advice and support, before, during and after your placement.
At the end of your placement, all students take part in a celebration and awards ceremony. This is an opportunity for us to thank all the participants in the Summer Experience programme. It’s a great opportunity to bring together everyone involved and celebrate the successes of the programme.
During the internship
You will be visited by a member of the Summer Experience team during your internship to ensure the project is running smoothly and we are on hand by telephone or email should any problems or queries arise.
You will be required to complete a self reflective workbook about your placement that details what you have been involved with, what you have learnt - skills, knowledge etc and how this placement may help your future career development plans.
What types of projects have been run previously?
Previously students have worked on a variety of projects, including:
• Market research
• Business Analysis
• Graphic Design
• Computer Programming
• Multi media
• New Product Development
• Process re-engineering
Summer Experience First
We also offer exclusive opportunities for first year undergraduate students of the University of Bradford who attended a Bradford school and who qualified for Free School Meals. See the details on our Summer Experience First page.
Summer Experience case studies
The awards ceremony is brought to you by the University of Bradford Career and Employability Services to recognise the achievements of all involved with the Summer Experience programme.
It's a celebration designed to showcase the benefits of work experience for both the students involved and the organisations that have offered the opportunities.
Placement providers and students on placement are invited to nominate each other for a number of categories, (see Awards Categories, right).
The award winners are selected by an independent judging panel based on their commitment to their projects and the development of new skills.
Who is invited
Placement providers, students placed on projects, staff coordinating Summer Experience and other University of Bradford staff.
This is a perfect opportunity to bring all our stakeholders together to celebrate the value of work experience in making students more ‘job-ready’ when they finish their degree. As well as the presentation of awards, there will be keynote presentations from members of the local business community and the University's senior management team.
Our speakers at the September 2018 event were
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Professor Shirley Congdon - Developing employability in Bradford students.
- Dr Phillip Hunter - Strategy Manager Employment and Skills, Bradford Council
- Jake Lodge, Centrepoint - An employer perspective
- Sam Swires - A student perspective
All speakers spoke of the value of real work experience and about how much students has developed over the course of the projects and made a real impact to the organisations they worked for.
Award Winners 2018
- Winner of Outstanding Placement Student - Contribution to Business Sam Birch
- Highly Commended Outstanding Placement Student - Contribution to Business Raluca Maria Ciuperca
- Winner of Outstanding Placement Student - Self Development Amina Rauf
- Highly Commended Outstanding Placement Student - Self Development Mariya Kalinichenko
- Winner of Outstanding Placement Student - Evidence of UOB Employability skills Thomas Arthur Carey
- Highly Commended Outstanding Placement Student - Evidence of UOB Employability skills Bradley Wallace
- Career & Employability Services Special Award Student Henna Ellahi
- Outstanding Placement Provider Newcomer Award Meridian
- Opportunity Area Bradford Internship Award Winner Employer PWC
- Opportunity Area Bradford Internship Award Winner Student Taalia Shah
- Opportunity Area Bradford Internship Award Highly Commended Employer National Media Museum
- Opportunity Area Bradford Internship Award Highly Commended Student Zain Ul Abdin
- Career & Employability Services Placement Provider Special Award Large Company Yorkshire Water
- Career & Employability Services Placement Provider Special Award SME STRI
- Career & Employability Services Placement Provider Special Award Education Advice Service For Adults