Services for postgraduate and MBA students
For postgraduate students
As a postgraduate student you can access the same support as undergraduates, including our:
Planning your career
Your experience of research as a PhD student may have increased your interest in pursuing a career in academia so you may be keen to apply for a research or lecturing post in a UK or overseas university. Alternatively, you could be considering a career outside of the academic environment as a large number of PhD students work in industry, commerce and the not-for-profit sector.
In order to compete effectively for your chosen career, it is important to take stock of your skills, qualities and work experience and assess how these match up with employers’ recruitment requirements. You can then put a plan of action together to help you to work towards your career goals.
We provide a range of workshops designed specifically for research students, covering issues such as:
- Planning a career in academia
- Exploring wider career options outside teaching and research at universities
- Making effective job application, including creating effective CVs
- Preparing for selection interviews
The full list of workshops is provided at the start of each semester, see details below.
In addition, research students can attend any of the workshops in our general workshops programme, covering such subjects such as using Social Media For Job seeking, Assessment Centres and many others.
Places are limited, so please make sure you book by following the links if you are interested in a particular session.
See also our employability workshops for all students.
Sessions have now concluded.
Please feel free to book an appointment to discuss any careers-related queries you may have.
- www.jobs.ac.uk – Jobs in teaching and research in universities and other establishments. See also their publication A Practical Guide to Planning an Academic or Research Career (pdf)
- Prospects features lots of advice for PhD students, including options for Phd students outside of academia.
- www.FindAPostDoc.com – post doctoral opportunities worldwide.
- www.vitae.ac.uk – a wide ranging careers resource for researchers, including careers case studies, survey based information about what PhD students do, information about CVs, applications and interviews. Register with your University of Bradford email address to access the full range of careers information.
- An Academic Career a site developed by the University of Manchester which provides information on: working in lecturing/research; different career paths within academia; job-seeking strategies and the recruitment and selection process.
- www.researchgate.net - A social networking site for researchers to connect and collaborate.
- www.timeshighereducation.co.uk - contains academic job listings.
- www.all-acad.com - jobs from academics from the UK and across the world.
- EURAXESS - aids researchers in their career development, supporting mobility and acting as a support mechanism for researchers moving abroad or moving to the UK.
- GoinGlobal - expert advice on finding jobs overseas, including country guides, company profiles and job opportunities.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) exist to link graduates with specialised expertise to businesses who can benefit from that knowledge. They are facilitated by academic institutions (including the University of Bradford) who employ the graduate, known as an associate, for specific projects as required by the business. Projects are generally two years in duration and can lead to permanent employment by the organisation.
You may be able to study for a Masters or other postgraduate qualification alongside the KTP depending on the project, and there is a personal development fund for training courses and development related to the project.
Find out more
- Knowledge Transfer Network KTP pages, including jobs board
- The GOV.UK Knowledge Transfer Partnership pages
KTP at the University of Bradford
If you'd like to know more about KTPs and how the University of Bradford can help you, please feel free to get in touch with the Knowledge Transfer Partnership team on 01274 236000 or via email, they are always happy to have a chat about your options.
Services for MBA students
One-to-one career coaching sessions with our MBA Career Consultants are available to assist you with preparation, resilience and a career action plan that could include developing a range of professional and personal skills. Whether you are looking to change your career or take it in a new direction we are here to assist you on your career journey.
We also offer appointments via phone, email and Skype if you are not in Bradford - please get in touch for more details.
Please quote your full name, course and UB number when making a booking.
MBA Careers Webinar Schedule
We run a series of one hour monthly Careers webinars specifically for our MBA students which are delivered by our MBA Career Consultants and guests. These webinars are usually offered twice in the day and evening (UK time), to cover a range of time zones, and are recorded and made available in Canvas afterwards (please email careersMBA@bradford.ac.uk for graduate access.) Current titles include: Leveraging your MBA, Career development skills and progression for MBAs, Networking for career success, Time for change: Job search for professionals, Develop your MBA level CV, LinkedIn for job seekers and networkers, Salary negotiation and The Bradford Mentoring Programme for MBAs
|Webinar Title||Time and Date|
Success at Interviews for MBA Job Seekers
This webinar will cover some established techniques for preparing for interviews for MBA and executive level roles and enable participants to go away with a plan to improve performance.
Wednesday 19 May
13:00 –14:00 or 19:00 – 20:00
A Virtual Tour of our Careers Resources
Make headway with your career planning and job search by joining us for this tour. We will take a quick trip around tools and resources that can help you with careers research, planning your next step and job seeking.
Wednesday 16 June
13:00 –14:00 or 19:00 – 20:00
Realising the dream – opportunities to start a new enterprise
In this session we will introduce you to techniques that will help you to navigate through the early stages of enterprise creation, from coming up with business ideas that align with your passions, to selecting the idea that offers the best chance of delivering the rewards you seek, and then taking those key first steps towards bringing your business to life.
Wednesday 7 July
See more details on the Canvas MBA site or email us to find out more.
Career Booster Programme
Run by the School of Management, this programme covers a range of useful employability skills.
MBA specialist subscribed resources
These selected specialist MBA resources are available to you as students of the University:
- MBA Exchange - a trusted partner of top business schools to connect their students and alumni with employers, domestically and internationally: Quality career opportunities, 400+ MBA development programs, MBA Employers Directory, online recruiting events and a dedicated School of Management dashboard.
- Highered - A great website specifically for School of Management students with a range of Global job opportunities, assessments and webinars.
AMBA: As a triple Crown Accredited School student you have access to the AMBA careers resources via their website and member area. AMBA are launching their exclusive CV 360 tool which offers members automated CV scoring, instant analysis / feedback and progress tracking . They also have some brand-new exclusively negotiated benefits coming up, including more than 25% off co-working space with Workspott, up to 35% off business books and up to 30% off car rental with Auto Europe. You can read lots more articles and award-winning content in their AMBITION hub. It is free to join by completing the short form online.
More jobsites for MBAs
- Indeed MBA jobs section.
- LinkedIn University of Bradford Alumni page - allowing the global UoB alumni community to connect, network, share ideas and knowledge, and offer advice and support to peers.
- Executive Grapevine - recruitment website.
- BLT - specialist recruitment website; upload your CV, search for jobs, events and advice.