We are proud of our world-leading reputation as a research and knowledge transfer institution. our vision is to enhance our internationally recognized reputation for research excellence and how our achievements impact on society. our aim is to become the technology university of the north.
Our mission is to conduct fundamental and translational research having positive impact on the communities with which we engage. we currently make a huge contribution to some of the most important and challenging issues facing the world today with our work having particular impact on the areas of advanced health care, innovative engineering, and sustainable societies. we seek to sustain this impact and to make further significant improvements in these areas for the benefit of mankind.
- Excellence - we strive for excellence in all that we do
- Equality and diversity - we champion inclusivity and are proud of the diversity of our staff and student community
- Internationalisation - we embrace, and actively seek challenge, and engage in the international arena to provide opportunities for our staff and students
- Sustainability - we believe in, and work to achieve, a sustainable society
Our primary strengths lie in the attributes of our staff which we build upon to enhance our global reputation.
Our staff are open and receptive to new ideas and problems.
Our staff come together to form inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams to tackle real-world challenges.
Our staff are highly innovative whilst remaining grounded, to enable them to deliver novel solutions with beneficial impact on society.
Responsible use of research metrics
The University of Bradford, as a signatory to the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), is committed to the responsible use of research metrics. DORA reflects the University’s values, and by signing up to DORA, we demonstrate to our researchers that we value the quality and content of their research regardless of how and where it is published. As a signatory of DORA, the University of Bradford commits to:
- avoiding journal-based metrics, such as Journal Impact Factors, as a surrogate measure of the quality of individual research articles
- being explicit about the criteria used to reach hiring and promotion decisions and foregrounding the scientific content of a paper
- considering the value and impact of all research outputs and a broad range of impact measures.
Further information on our principles is available here