This 4-year BSc (Hons) Clinical Technology programme offers you the opportunity to take up a placement year working in industry in your third year.
The placement year is an excellent way to develop your professional experience, build industry contacts, and gain insight into the day-to-day work of a professional clinical technologist. Placements are predominantly salaried positions and may lead to offers of employment upon graduation if you excel during your placement.
Support for placement applications is plentiful, with a dedicated Faculty Career Development Advisor and academic staff members overseeing placement students. All students on placement are assigned an academic supervisor who will visit them during their placement year and can provide advice and guidance.
Recent placement destinations include:
- DePuySynthes (Johnson & Johnson)
- Smith & Nephew
- Biomet Healthcare UK Ltd
- GE Healthcare
- Stanmore Orthopaedics
- Smiths Medicals
- IMI Precision Manufacturing
After completing your placement you’ll return to complete the final year of the programme, and apply all you’ve learnt to your final project.
Learning and assessment
You’ll learn through a combination of:
- formal and informal lectures
- laboratory practicals
- workshop skills sessions
- guest lectures and seminars
- group and individually assessed projects
You'll benefit from:
- state-of-the-art human movement laboratory, which enables the movement and gait of patients to be analysed in great detail. The laboratory incorporates a new VICON motion capture facility.
- prosthetic/orthotic laboratory containing several state-of-the-art test machines such as friction hip/knee simulator for evaluating the performance of artificial hip and knee joints.
- human physiology laboratory for evaluating human physiological performance including EMG, ECG, Blood Pressure, Urine, Skin analysis and Spirometry (lung function) tests, etc.
- tissue characterisation laboratory, incorporating three atomic force microscopes (AFM), which enables the nano- and microstructure of various tissues and other biomaterials to be characterised in great detail. This facility enables the mechanical, physical and biological performance characteristics of tissue/biomaterials to be better understood.
- modern cell/tissue engineering laboratory for in-vitro culturing of various cells/tissues such as skin, bone, cartilage, muscle, etc, and wound repair.
- world-class bioaerosol test facility for performing microbiological experiments. This facility comprises a class two negatively pressurised chamber, into which microorganisms can be safely nebulised, thus enabling infection control interventions to be evaluated.
- electrostatics laboratory for evaluating the impact of electrical charge on biological and medical systems.
- Medical Electronics Laboratory equipped for the design and manufacturing of Medical diagnostic devices such as Electrocardiography (ECG), Pacemaker, Oximeter and Heart Rate Monitoring, etc.
You will also study in a number of specialist engineering laboratories for related subjects such as materials testing and characterisation.
All of our programmes offer the opportunity to study abroad with two semesters at an international partner institution.
We have a commitment to strong pastoral care for all of our students, which includes a Personal Tutor for all students, regular contact hours for tutor groups and our supportive student service teams who are always ready to help with any questions and provide the advice that you need.
In addition to standard study support through taught sessions, our Virtual Learning Environment allows students to access resources, participate in group work and submit work from anywhere in the world 24/7.
University central services are rich with support teams to assist students with every aspect of their journey through our degree programmes. From our Career and Employability Service, through our strong Students' Union, to our professional and efficient Student Finance team, there are always friendly faces ready to support you and provide you with the answers that you need.
We have well-stocked libraries and excellent IT facilities across campus. These facilities are open 24 hours a day during term time, meaning you’ll always find a place to get things done on campus.
Our Academic Skills Advice Service will work with you to develop your academic, interpersonal and transferable skills.
Cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching and student projects, ensuring your studies are innovative, current and focused - and directly related to developments in the healthcare and orthopaedic industries.
All academic staff are research active, ensuring teaching is research-led and you'll have an effective, insightful supervisor when undertaking industry based projects.