Centre for Chemical and Biological Analysis
Housed in the modern Norcroft Building at the University of Bradford, the Centre for Chemical and Biological Analysis (the Analytical Centre) offers an impressive range of sophisticated and specialist analytical equipment and is the hub of analytical science at the University for both research and commercial projects.
Our experienced and highly skilled staff ensure that the instrumentation is maintained to industry standards through service contracts, controlled access and a quality management system. We offer an array of analytical techniques and services to industrial clients including contract research, routine analysis and training courses.
With proven academic know-how and a dedicated and highly professional delivery team we can offer our clients many options to deliver challenging projects. We have an enviable track record of providing timely answers to difficult analytical problems.
We pride ourselves on our ability to solve problems through analytical science, no matter how small or large your challenge, please contact us to discuss how we can help.
The Centre offers a broad range of analytical techniques covering both chemical and biological analysis:
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR): 400 and 600 MHz instruments for 1D, 2D solution, Diffusion (DOSY), peptides (Triple Resonance) and CP-MAS Solid measurements;
- Mass Spectrometry: GCMS, LCMS, LCMSMS, HiRes MS for accurate mass, Direct Infusion MS (EI/CI/ESI/APCI);
- Chromatography, isolation and purification: GC, HPLC, ion-exchange, size exclusion, capillary electrophoresis, column chromatography and preparative HPLC;
- Thermal Analysis: DSC, nano-DSC, TGA, DMA and HSM;
- Vibrational Spectroscopy: Raman Microscopy, FTIR
- X-Ray diffraction: PXRD and Single Crystal-XRD;
- Microscopy: Optical Microscopy (PLM), Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy (SEM/TEM), Confocal-fluorescence Microscopy
- Particle Characterisation:
- Particle Size Distribution Analysis;
- Zeta Potential Measurement;
- Particle Morphology by Light and Electron Microscopies;
- Inverse Gas Chromatography;
- BET Analysis - surface area determination;
- Dynamic Vapour Sorption;
- Particle or True Density via Helium pycnometry.
- Impactor Analysis for inhaled products:
- Next Generation Impactor (NGI);
- Anderson Cascade Impactor (ACI);
- Twin Stage Impinger (TSI).
Assessment of inhaled products (single, dual and triple therapies) by conventional means (MMAD, GSD, FPD / FPF) and bespoke methods to determine depostied form (diffracition and spectroscopic analysis).
- Sample Preparation;
- Quantitative analysis;
- Isobaric tags (iTRAQ, TMT);
- Metabolic labelling (SILAC);
- Label-free quantification;
- Multiple and Parallel reaction monitoring (MRM/PRM);
- Statistical Analysis.
Contract Research and Services
The Centre offers a comprehensive commercially focused analytical service to a number of industrial sectors, including:
- Personal and Health Care;
- Fine Chemicals.
Our research and service offerings include:
- Proteomics service;
- Analytical method development and validation;
- Preformulation analysis and stability studies;
- Impurity/Unknown identification;
- Product deformulation studies;
- Raman Mapping of pharmaceutical formulations;
- REACH analysis for regulatory documentation;
- Inhaled systems assessment;
- Skin applications and analysis.
Having worked with well over 100 companies over the past 5 years including many from highly regulated sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, Health and Personal Care, we understand our client’s needs to have total confidence in the analytical data we produce. We achieve this through our internal Quality Management System which has been developed in line with the principles of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).