Professor Shirley Congdon
Our Vice-Chancellor Professor Shirley Congdon is responsible for the leadership and management of the University, leading the development of its values and strategy.
Shirley is the eighth Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bradford and is the first women to hold the role. Shirley has significant experience of working in higher education championing the quality of the student experience, widening participation, engagement with business and communities and advancing the quality of research and innovation.
Originally qualifying as a Registered Nurse, Shirley’s professional and academic expertise lies within the area of health and social care, service modernisation and cultural change, research methods and evidence-based practice. She has a strong track record in all aspects of university leadership, having worked within the field of higher education for 25 years and held senior roles in three different universities.
Shirley is passionate about equality and diversity, social inclusion and widening participation in higher education; opening up opportunities and unlocking potential for people of all backgrounds.
Shirley is a tireless ambassador for students and is committed to ensuring students get the best possible education and support that leads to a rewarding career after they graduate. Her number one priority is to place the student experience at the heart of all aspects of University activities.
Roles and Memberships
- Stakeholder Governor of the Board of Bradford District Care Trust (shadow format)
- Governor of Leeds College of Art
- Member of the Health Education Yorkshire and the Humber, representing the regions Higher Education Institutes
- Member of The Council of Deans for the UK
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Ref. 31372
- Member of the Royal College of Nursing
- Member of NHS Yorkshire and Humber Regional Leadership Council.