How to apply for funding
Find out about the process of applying for either Financial Aid or a Federal Loans to help with the costs of studying at the University of Bradford.
You'll need to know where to find the relevant application forms and how to fill in the Cost of Attendance calculation spreadsheet if required.
To be eligible for a Federal Loan, you must:
- be a US citizen or permanent resident with a valid social security number
- hold a high-school diploma or equivalent
- not have any previous convictions for drug-related offences
- not be in default on any prior student loan or owe a refund on any grant
- be registered for Selective Services if you are male (or be exempt from registering)
- be accepted onto at least a half-time (part-time) program of study at the University of Bradford and hold a valid student ID number.
- not be undertaking any amount of study or research in the US during part of your program
Federal student aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be assessed for eligibility. A new FAFSA is required for each year of study. The information you provide on the FAFSA is used to produce a Student Aid Report (SAR). View help completing the FAFSA
You may need the following codes:
- The school code for FAFSA is G12198
- The campus code (if required) is 00
Cost of attendance
The total amount of money that a student requires for educational purposes is known as the Cost of Attendance (COA).
Federal law allows your COA to include:
- tuition fees
- an allowance for books, supplies and transport;
- an allowance to cover room and board (rent or hall charges);
- an allowance for dependent care if necessary;
- an allowance to assist with any disability;
- coverage of any charges or premiums associated with a Federal Loan.
As part of the loan application process you will have the opportunity to tell us about the costs that you will face as an individual. When calculating your COA, a number of costs are decided by the University in accordance with average costs.
General living allowance
Within your COA an amount will be included as a 'general living allowance'.
You are required to register with the US loan website and complete these tasks:
- complete entrance counselling
- sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- complete your Plus loan MPN (PLUS loan only)
- complete your credit check (PLUS loan only)
You are also required to email the Fees and Finance Team with evidence of completion of these tasks (screenshots and PDF of Master Promissory Notes).
Cost of attendance calculation
The COA estimates the cost of a year’s study at the University of Bradford. Each student is evaluated individually.
Contact the Fees and Finance Team if you have any special requirements that you believe may affect your Cost of Attendance. Please note any such requirements will need to be fully evidenced.