International students are an important part of the University of Bradford and we want to do all we can to help you with your career prospects and finding work during your studies.
Many international students work part-time and in vacations whilst studying as it can provide valuable work experience, enhance language skills and give insights into different cultures.
Which students are classed as International Students?
The UK officially left the European Union on January 1 2021, and as a result all students from outside the UK are now classed as International. Visa restrictions now apply to EU students, so please check the Visa Support pages and our information about working in the UK for updated details of the new UK regulations.
There is more information on the GOV.UK website.
Career Development Programme 2024
A programme designed for current international students to equip you with the knowledge and tools to take charge of your own career journey.
An in person intensive support programme aimed at international postgraduate students across all faculties. The programme will take place over 5 consecutive days (Monday to Friday) between 10am – 12pm on week commencing the 22nd January (2 hours per day) and will cover:
- Job options with your degree and different types of vacancies
- Recruitment timelines in the UK
- Making a strong application (including CVs, covering letters and applications)
- Recruitment process (for example psychometric testing, assessment centres and interviews)
- Dealing with rejection
- Navigating conversations with employers about your visa and right to work
- Next steps
Students who attend the previous programme found it very useful. Here are some of their comments:
"It's given me a whole new perspective to applying for jobs. Albeit I still need some work done, but it has directed me towards how best to achieve my goal."
"The program has enabled me to know what employers are looking for and how to tailor my CVs to their needs. I have gotten 2 invites for interview since I updated my CV and hoping for more."
"It was insightful and valuable for my career plans and job applications. I learnt a lot and I have begun to put the information to use in my application."
Places are limited so please register your interest by Monday 18th December 2023 at 5pm via Handshake and then complete the MS Form at the link provided. Priority will be given to students who finish their course in March or April (a further programme will be offered in May/June.
Information and advice
Below are the links to our information, advice and FAQs about the practicalities of working and studying in the UK for international students.
Further help and advice
Support within the University
- University of Bradford International Office offers a range of advice on living and studying in Bradford including visas, working in the UK, study abroad and preparing to return home.
- Visa Support advisors offer drop-in sessions every weekday from 11.00am to 12.00pm, at MyBradford - Student Services, Richmond Building.
- The Language Centre offers a wide range of English language classes and support depending on your current level of English.
- The official British Council website offers a range of information about studying in the UK from regional and city guides to course search and scholarships.
- GOV.UK for information and application for work and student visas.
- UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) offers advice for international students about studying and working in the UK.