Support for refugee and asylum seekers
As a refugee or asylum seeker, you may encounter some unique challenges in the transition to higher education. We have a personalised package of support available to help you have a full, enriching and enjoyable experience at Bradford.
We’re able to provide one-to-one support throughout the application process, as well as arrange individual visits to campus to see the facilities and meet academics and current students. We’re also able to arrange meetings with current University of Bradford students who are or have been refugee or asylum seekers themselves.
Am I a refugee or asylum seeker?
A refugee is someone whose claim for asylum has been recognised and you have been granted official ‘refugee’ status. You would usually be eligible for home tuition fees and student finance.
An asylum seeker is someone who is in the process of seeking asylum, or the decision is still pending. Usually your fee status is classed as overseas and you would be ineligible to apply for student finance.
If you are unsure of your status, or you would be classed as a refugee or asylum seeker, please get in touch for support and our dedicated contacts will be happy to help.
University of Sanctuary
The University also offers support through the University of Sanctuary and the Sanctuary scholarships. For more information, please visit our City of Santuary webpage.
Supporting your journey to university
Nigel Futter - Your named point of contact
Nigel is your named point of contact throughout your journey to university. Nigel is here to support you in deciding if university is right for you, and to provide advice and guidance in making your university application. Nigel will support you by:
- Being your point of contact to provide individual support and information during any part of your journey to University
- Providing one to one guidance with your UCAS application
- Arranging individual campus visits for you to visit the University and meet our student ambassadors
- Organising bespoke activity for you to find out more about university
If you are thinking about university, or a current applicant, please get in touch for further support.
Support once you're here
Clare Wilson - Your Named Point of Contact
Clare is one of our Student Life Advisers and will be your named point of contact throughout your time at the university. Clare will support you by:
- Being a central point of contact for you throughout your studies, supporting you with any questions or concerns you may experience
- Liaising with Student Finance England and other funding bodies to help you apply for financial support
- Signposting you to the wide range of Student Support teams available, as and when you need them
- Helping you to network with other refugee and asylum seeker students
If you are a current student, contact Clare: