Students that would like to study a PhD can get funding to help cover the cost of their course and living fees.
This amount you receive does not depend on your household income. You will have to pay the loan back.
Eligibility for funding depends on several factors, including the details of your course, your age, and your nationality. A comprehensive list of the Doctoral Loan eligibility criteria is available on the Student Finance England website.
You are not eligible for funding if:
- You are receiving Research Council funding
- You are eligible for funding from the NHS
- You have already received funding for a PhD
- You already have a PhD, equivalent or higher qualification
- You are behind on your payments for any previous loans
How much can I get?
You will receive up £27,892 for degrees starting in 2022/23.
How do I apply for the Doctoral loan?
You can apply for the Doctoral Loan through Student Finance England.
When will I receive the loan?
You will receive the Doctoral Loan in three instalments at the start of each year. The loan will be paid directly into your bank account.