Skip to content

United States student funding

A range of financial support is available to eligible students from America, including national, regional and federal loans, private loans and more.

Find out what kind of funding you may be able to access and who to contact to make further enquiries.

Tuition fee deposit

If you are an international taught postgraduate student then you have to pay a tuition fee deposit before beginning your course. However, if you are eligible for a US Federal Loan you do not have to pay the tuition fee deposit. Eligible students will automatically be made exempt, once they have been assessed as eligible for a Federal Loan.

US Federal loan

You can apply for federal funding through the Direct Loan Program

Students at international universities are eligible to apply for:

  • Stafford loans
  • PLUS loans

Students at international universities cannot apply for the Pell Grant.

We are not approved to award US Federal loans for:

  • Distance learning courses
  • Nursing
  • PGCE
  • Any Advanced Diploma courses

Private loans

Students are advised to take any Federal Loan they are entitled to before considering any other type of loan, due to the competitive interest rate and repayment benefits they offer.  A detailed comparison of Federal and Private Loans is published via the Federal Student Aid website. 

We will certify educational loans taken through any private lenders who lend to students at international universities.

Distance-learning students can apply for private loans such as Sallie Mae’s Smart Option Student Loan.

US Department of Veterans affairs funding

If you are entitled to funding through the US Department of Veterans Affairs then you can use it to study with us.

It can take some time to arrange the funding so contact the Fees & Finance team well before you start your studies. We will need your:

  • Social security number
  • Date of birth
  • Chapter of benefits
  • Address
  • Course of study