Special Collections reprographic services
Special Collections offers a range of reprographic services which aim to balance user needs with the well-being of precious originals in the collections and the requirements of UK copyright law.
The services listed here are for users whose work on the collections is academic, scholarly or for personal interest and who require copies for their personal research. See our Publication and commercial use webpage if your requirements don't fit these categories.
Scan and send
Whilst our reading room remains closed, we are offering a limited scan and send service, to enable researchers, digital access to our wonderful collections. Although not all of our collections will be available for this service, Special Collections staff are happy to discuss your requests. Revised charges are detailed below. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Services provided by Special Collections staff
Special Collections offers digitisation and photocopying services for enquirers who for practical or legal reasons cannot take advantage of personal digital photography.
Standard charges (from September 2020)
|Digital copies (high res)||£6.00 (minimum order)||Up to and including 10 images|
|£4.00||Up to and including every additional 10 images|
Remote enquirers should contact us to obtain a quotation for likely costs before completing their declaration.
Prices include VAT at the standard rate.
We reserve the right to impose extra charges based on staff time for exceptionally large or complex jobs.
All copying is at the discretion of Special Collections staff and is subject to:
- UK copyright law, data protection law and any other relevant legislation.
- Format, condition and size of original.
- Staff availability to carry out the work.
Copies can be supplied only when payment and correctly completed declaration form have been received by Special Collections staff. Download forms below.
We endeavour to make copies as quickly as we can, but as a small and busy service we cannot guarantee meeting particular deadlines. We will keep you informed of significant delays.
Supply of images via this service does not include rights to reproduce or publish. See our Publication and commercial use page for help.
Personal digital photography
We encourage visitors to bring their own digital cameras or smartphones to capture images for their personal research. This is at the discretion of the Special Collections Librarian or delegated to the staff member on duty. It is subject to the following restrictions:
- Care for originals. Photography is gentle on collections as no contact is made, but it is possible to do harm by leaning on items or breaking book spines. We offer book snakes, supports and weights to help you get the image you need without damaging precious originals. Do not rest or stand your device on collections items.
- UK copyright law. Find out more via our copyright web page.
- Respect for other users and staff. Switch off any sound notifications on your device. If you want to bring a tripod, extra lights etc, let us know in advance so we can arrange a solo appointment for you.
- Data protection. We are unable to allow personal photography of material restricted under the Data Protection Act.
There is currently no charge for personal digital photography.
Visitors are not permitted to photocopy or use any equipment which touches originals to reproduce Special Collections materials.