Graduation privacy notice
Under what legal basis does the processing of my personal data take place?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 provide for a number of different legal bases under which processing of personal data may take place. In this case, the following bases apply:
- Performance of a contract: as you have signed up to an academic programme at the University of Bradford which culminates with the presentation of a degree or other award at a graduation ceremony.
- Necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the exercise of the University’s official authority: The Charter is the University’s Official Authority and sets out the following as the part of the University’s Public Task – To award degrees and other academic awards: Graduation is a part of this process.
- Consent: As part of the process for you to register for graduation we will ask you to consent to the use of your data for processing associated with graduation such as the inclusion of your name in the graduation programme and also for alumni processes after you have left the University. These will be confirmed to you in a summary email after you have registered.
What categories of personal data are used?
All information necessary to investigate the case; this might normally include:
- Contact details
- Student ID number
- Programme and classification information
- Visual Images (Graduation is recorded)
- Information about your family
Where do we get your personal data from?
- Your student record
Who else do we pass this information on to?
Recipients of this information include the marketing & alumni team. If you consent your name and award will also be processed in the Graduation booklet and T-Shirt which are printed via InPrint and Design. Video and Photographs are taken by external organisations Success and StageClip and are sold as part of the event.
Do we transfer the information overseas?
This information will not be transferred overseas.
How long do we keep this information for?
Graduation processing information will be held for one year after the completion of the award ceremony.
Alumni and Award information will be held by the university permanently.
What are your rights as a data subject?
As a person whose personal data we are processing, you have certain rights in respect of that personal data; you have the right:
- To withdraw consent;
- To access your personal data that we process;
- To rectify inaccuracies in personal data that we hold about you if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- To request the deletion or removal of your personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing;
- To restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways;
- To obtain your personal data for reuse;
- To object certain processing of your personal data;
- To complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office about the way in which we process your personal data.
For more information please contact the University’s Data Protection Officer
University of Bradford,