In the UK
The following websites have lots of information about postgraduate study in the UK, including the range of courses available and how to search and apply for courses.
You can also see our general advice on further study here.
Extending your Tier 4 student visa
As an International Student there are issues around visas that you will need to take into account. If you wish to continue your studies in the UK, you will need to extend your Tier 4 student visa.
- Before you can extend your student visa, you will have to receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your new institution. This will be given to you once you have been offered a place and your individual academic and immigration history has been checked.
- Students who have already spent 5 years studying at degree level or above on student or Tier 4 student visa may not be granted further extensions as a Tier 4 student unless it is to study for a PhD.
Sources of help for extending your Tier 4 student visa
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is a good source of information for applying for a Tier 4 (general) visa, once you have got a CAS.
The International Student Adviser from your new institution may also be able to help you.
Funding for postgraduate study in the UK
Universities and other organisations offer scholarships and bursaries to international students to help reduce the cost of your studies. To be eligible for a scholarship or bursary, students will be required to meet specific criteria e.g. country of origin, academic excellence, subject of study etc.
The British Council Education UK provides information on funding studies at postgraduate level and an opportunity to search for scholarships and bursaries.
Find a PhD includes a section on funding for international students. You can find a list of sites which offer funding for studies both within and outside the UK.
The University of Bradford offers scholarships and bursaries to international students.
Here are some resources that could help you search for courses in countries across the world, find information about how to apply and visas requirements.
- Prospects although written for students from the UK, there is some general information on searching for courses, how to apply and funding along with some information sources, all of which also apply to international students.
- TARGETpostgrad details information on what courses you could study, how to apply and fund postgraduate study abroad and study visa basics
- Studee offers information and advice for students worldwide who are considering studying abroad for an international education. Choose your country of study and get up to date information and advice on courses, application processes and visas through a free student email enquiry service.
- Find a Masters and Find a PhD allow you to search for courses across the world.
- Studying in the US and The Fulbright Commission webpage also feature useful information about opportunities in USA.