Skip to content

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

What is a BRP?

A Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is issued by the Home Office and is evidence of the holder's right to study in the UK. The BRP is a standard credit card size and shows your photograph, full name, date of birth and details on your permission to remain in the UK. The card will also show any conditions you may have, including work restrictions. The card also includes a microchip, which contains your fingerprints, digital photograph and signature.

Once you have arrived in the UK and received your BRP card, your BRP will act as your visa from that point. If you travel out of the country, you must carry your BRP card with you in order to re-enter the UK.

It is your responsibility to keep your BRP safe. It is a time consuming and costly process to replace your BRP card and you will not be able to travel outside of the UK until your new card has arrived.

Reporting BRP errors

You must report any problems with your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card within 10 days of receiving your card or you may have to apply and pay for a replacement.

The following problems with your BRP can be reported online:

  • There is a mistake on it, e.g. your name, gender, date of birth, place of birth
  • Incorrect work conditions or length of stay
  • Your BRP has been damaged
  • There is a fault with your BRP, e.g. it will not scan properly when entering or leaving the UK

You will need to report the problem to the Home Office. The Home Office will contact you within five working days to tell you what to do next.

For further information or help in completing the form, please contact the Visa Support team at or telephone +44 (0) 1274 236900.

If you applied for your visa from within the UK, you will need to apply for an Administrative Review. This needs to be submitted within 14 days of receiving your BRP.

You can complete the Administrative Review form online. A fee of £80 will need to be paid (by bank card), which will be refunded if the application is successful or rejected as invalid (this can take up to 3 weeks to refund). Administrative Review decisions can take up 28 days.

If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 

You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer. 

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP. 

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected

Lost or stolen BRP

If you have lost your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) card you will need to do the following:

  1. Report the loss to the Home office
  2. Report the loss to the local Police and obtain a crime reference number. This can usually be done by filling out a lost property form online.
  3. You must then apply for a replacement BRP (within 3 months of the loss/theft) by completing form BRP (RC).

If you lose your BRP outside the UK, you will need to apply for a replacement visa overseas to travel back to the UK in the first instance and then apply for your BRP replacement within one month of your return to the UK. Find out more about passport, visa and BRP problems.

For further information or if you need help completing the form, please contact the Visa Support team at or telephone +44 (0) 1274 236900.