The University of Bradford is part of the ESRC White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership (WRDTP) - a collaboration between the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York, Bradford, Sheffield Hallam, Hull and Manchester Metropolitan University - and through this is able to offer a range of ESRC Postgraduate Research Scholarships.
This is an exciting opportunity to apply for a fully-funded studentship for PhD studies, and optionally, an MSc course in Social Sciences Research Methods as well.
The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) is the UK's largest funding agency for research and postgraduate training relating to social and economic issues. At any one time, the ESRC supports over 4,000 researchers and postgraduate students in academic institutions and research policy institutes.
• Your proposal must use Social Sciences research methods – lab-based projects will not be considered for funding.
• Candidates who do not have a Masters degree are welcome to apply, but will need to also study the MSc in Social Sciences Research for Healthcare course first (this is known as a 1+3 award). Candidates with Masters degrees that do not include 60 credits of research methods may also be required to study the above MSc. The funding, if awarded, will cover both the MSc and PhD together.
• As these are match-funded awards, candidates are strongly advised to seek advice from academic staff as soon as possible, to secure support and develop their proposals before submission.
Prioritising criteria in case of oversubscription:
• Applicants who have, or are expected to achieve, first class honours in a Bachelors degree, or a Distinction in a Masters degree.
• A strong research proposal, using social sciences research methods, which fits well with one of the pathways and is aligned with University and Faculty research priorities.
• A collaborative element with external organisations.
• A resilience plan that can account for potential disruption to data collection and fieldwork caused by (for example) potential Covid-19 related restrictions.
Antigua & Barbuda
Azerbaijani Republic, The
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba
Bosnia And Herzegovina
British Antarctic Territories
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Burkina Faso; Also Upper Volta
Cape Verde Islands
Central African Republic
Channel Islands, not elsewhere specified
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Congo (Peoples Republic)
Congo, Democratic Republic
Cyprus (European Union)
Cyprus (Non-European Union)
Timor Leste (East Timor)
Egypt, United Arab Republic of
Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Gambia, The Republic of The
Ireland, the Republic of
Isle of Man (The)
Cote D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Kiribati (The Gilbert Islands)
Korea (North), Democratic Peoples Republic of
Korea (South), Republic of
Laos People's Democratic Republic
Macao (Special Administrative Region of China)
Mayotte (French Territorial Collectivity)
Moldova, Republic of
New Caledonia, also French Overseas Territori
Northern Mariana Islands
Palestine; West Bank; Gaza Strip inc E Jerusa
Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oenno Islands
Samoa, Independent State of
Sao Tome & Principe
Sint Maarten (Dutch part)
St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
St Pierre and Miquelon
St.Kitts and Nevis
St.Vincent and the Grenadines
Svalbard and Jan Mayen
Syrian Arab Republic
Tanzania, United Republic of
Trinidad & Tobago
Turks & Caicos Islands
United Arab Emirates
United States of America
United States Virgin Islands
Vatican City, Holy See Vatican City State
Wallis and Futuna
Windward Islands (not otherwise specified)
Yemen, Republic of
Payment amount & frequency
Successful candidates will be awarded a studentship which covers full Home tuition fees, pays a monthly stipend at UKRI rates (£15,609 per year in 2021/22), and a Research Training Support Grant of £2000 to cover expenses, including travel and fieldwork. This will be for three years for candidates studying the PhD on its own (+3 route), or four years for those required to complete the MSc, followed by the PhD (1+3 route).
Requests to cover the difference between Home and International fees will be considered on an individual basis.