Theatre in the Mill leads International Women’s Day celebrations
Theatre in Mill, based at the University of Bradford, is leading celebrations for International Women’s Day - and Women’s History Month - with a raft of interactive events.
In addition, the University’s School of Law will host a Women’s Day Panel to discuss how the law relates to gender equality.
The events come just days after the university installed Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour presenter and TV broadcaster Anita Rani as its new Chancellor. The University now has a female Chancellor, female Vice-Chancellor (Professor Shirley Congdon) and female Chair of Council (Eileen Milner).
- Wednesday March 8, 19:00: Online poetry writing sessions with Bradford poet Nabeelah Ahmed
- Friday March 10, 11:00 and 14:30: Drop-in audio curation event in the Chesham Building with Shi Bank, to create a playlist of music inspired by women
- Friday March 10, 19:30-22:00: Celebratory dinner with Bradford visual art chef Sonia Sandhu, hosted by Capital FM JoJo Kelly - dinner will be served in the Norcroft Centre, alongside poetic entertainment tailored to each course.
- Saturday March 11, 11:00-12:00: “Inspirational Women” Book Club with Black writer and spoken word poet and ‘artivist’ Simone Yasmin, taking place at the Norcroft Building and Norcroft Centre.
- Sunday March 12, 14:00-15:00: Song-Geet is Bra Bradford's first South Asian Women's choir comprising women aged 25 to 55, led by maestro Shabnam Khan - they will gather at Theatre in the Mill for a performance that will include classical and Qawwali to Carnatic and Punjabi folk music.
Professor Karen Stansfield, Dean & Professor of Healthcare Leadership, said: “We are proud to celebrate women every day for their fantastic achievements but particularly on International Women's day we hope you will join us.”
- 8 March 2023, 12:30-13:30: International Women's Day (Relaxation skills for the menopause: a practical workshop) - Richmond Building, D Floor, Room D2. Register for International Women's Day (Relaxation skills for the menopause: a practical workshop)
- 8 March 2023, 18:00-19:30: Counter Terrorism: An International Challenge with Dr Juliette Bird. Norcroft Centre. Register for Counter Terrorism: An International Challenge with Dr Juliette Bird
- From 3-10 March, a book display will be available in the JB Priestley Library on the ground floor near to the stairs and lifts, and will cover Women's History Month as well as International Women's Day.
The University’s Centre for Inclusion & Diversity, Events and Partnerships Team, and Gender Staff Forum have organised an institution-wide programme to celebrate women across our institution who have been inspired by other women, or who are inspiring others and making a difference to our staff, our students, our partners, and our communities. The theme for this year's International Women's Day is "#EmbraceEquity".
The New Years Honours list 2023 recognised a number of inspirational women for their contributions to society:
- MBA student Sharon Jandu OBE and Dame Sally Dicketts: Why education is so important
- Emeritus Professor Murna Downs: In recognition of her services to the social sciences.
The University of Bradford celebrates the achievements and accomplishments of women in all roles.
Explore our profiles of inspirational women that work at the University.
Find out more about Theatre in the Mill’s Women’s Weekender here.
Join the School of Law event from 13:00-14:00 today.
Meanwhile, our very own Professor Liz Breen has been mentioned in the #NorthInnovationWomen 2023 list.
Professor Breen - @LizBreen14 - is Director of the Digital Health Enterprize Zone at the University of Bradford.
She said: "I am honoured to be nominated in recognition of our efforts in digital health innovation in the North. I am surrounded by these fabulous women who work tirelessly to advance our knowledge, grow our economy, support our communities and secure our future. Innovation is in everything thing we do. Our passion for positive change has no limits."
The Northern Health Science Alliance (NHSA) and N8 Research Partnership have published a list of more than 200 women who are pushing the boundaries of innovation in their chosen fields to mark International Women’s Day.
The #NorthInnovationWomen campaign, back for its sixth year, provides an informal and supportive platform for women to be acknowledged and celebrated.