Department of Computer Science
Modern business increasingly depends on information systems. Industry and the public services need graduates able to develop reliable, sophisticated, complex, cost-effective and high-quality computer systems.
Bradford continues to be a pioneer in the area of Computer Science within higher education in the UK, offering a wide spread of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level as well as undertaking research to take our subject into the future.
Most of our courses are accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT
At a glance
- Computer Science at Bradford was one of the first departments in the UK to run an MSc course in Computing back in 1967.
- Emphasis is placed on the application of theory to the solution of real problems within industry and commerce, with practical work throughout the course and study projects with the Bradford Computing Enterprise Centre.
- Computer Science at Bradford has its own network based on powerful servers running UNIX, accessed by Linux and Windows workstations - the system can be accessed across campus and beyond.
- All undergraduate courses are available as either three-year continuous courses or four-year with an optional placement year in industry.
- Most of our courses are accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT.
- The main programming language used is Java, which supports object orientation, graphical user interfaces, concurrency, and networking.
- Other industry standard languages are also studied such as C#, C++, Haskell, Python, and Ruby.
I wanted to do computer science with a placement year and I knew Bradford offered a sandwich course. I had heard good things about computer science at Bradford. I was impressed with the facilities, the University offers everything you need to do your course. The library had every book and resource I needed access to - I could even borrow computer hardware from technical support. Stefan mangu - BSc (Hons) Computer Science
We offer courses accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS), the Chartered Institute for IT promoting wider social and economic progress through the advancement of information technology science and practice.
This accreditation means we are delivering knowledge set to the benchmark standard for students leading into the professional industry. Students on BCS-accredited courses will also be entitled to student membership.