Learning and assessment
Throughout the foundation degree programme you will participate in a wide range of trainee-centred learning activities in order to help you develop the knowledge, skills and values required for practice based around core subjects.
Learning is structured in a variety of ways, to appeal to different learning styles and for the benefit of all learners. You can expect to undertake lectures, seminars, group work, presentations, team-based learning, discussions, self-directed study, simulated practice, and clinical skills workshops. You will be expected to complete and give feedback on directed activities and undertake regular self-directed study. Your learning will be supported by study skills advice, and the opportunity to submit formative assessments for feedback ahead of summative (assessed) pieces of work. You are required to submit a self-assessment for all summative assessed work.
Assessments aim to determine achievement of the knowledge, skills and behaviours as identified in the apprenticeship framework, with learning outcomes identified for each module. Methods used include essays, case studies, reports, work books, communications exercises, individual readiness assurance tests and team readiness assurance tests, written and clinical examinations and portfolios.
Practice experience is continually assessed with a mid-placement formative assessment and a formal summative assessment. In addition, you will complete a formative reflection on practice, and feedback will be provided by your Personal Academic Tutor (PAT).
Service users and carers are involved in all aspects of assessment, including setting assessments, providing evaluation and feedback in practice, and summative assessments of some presentations.
You will view course content, interact with the programme, and submit assignments online, using the University's Canvas platform, and in clinical practice you will keep an electronic portfolio on a platform called Pebblepad.
Funding for apprenticeships is available from the Education and Skills Funding Agency or ESFA. Employers are responsible for ensuring that funding is in place prior to apprentices starting their programme. To access and send apprenticeship funding to the University of Bradford, employers must access the Apprenticeship Service portal.
Access the Apprenticeship Service portal
When sending a funding request to the University of Bradford you will need our UKPRN number: 10007785.
Apprenticeship funding is split in to two categories: levy and non-levy funding.
Levy employers are large organisations with a wage bill of more than £3m and are required to contribute to the apprenticeship levy. Levy-paying employers can access their levy funds to pay for apprenticeship programmes. If levy employers have insufficient funds in their account to cover the cost of the apprenticeship, the government will contribute 95% towards the programme cost and the employer is required to contribute the remaining 5%. The 5% contribution payment is made directly to the University of Bradford.
Non-levy employers are those with a wage bill of less than £3m. The ESFA will pay 95% of the funding and the employer is required to contribute 5% of the total cost of the apprenticeship for non-levy employers. The contribution payment is made directly to the University of Bradford. Non-levy employers are required to reserve the apprenticeship funding prior to the start of the programme.
The ESFA will pay 100% of the apprenticeship funding if a non-levy employer has less than 50 employees, employs an apprentice that is 16-18 years old or is 19 to 24 with an education, health and care plan provided by their local authority or has been in the care.