Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

When do I need to apply for accommodation?

You can apply online for accommodation any time. There is no deadline to apply for accommodation at The Green, we welcome applications all through the year. However, we operate on a 'first come, first served' basis, so the sooner you apply, the more choice you will have on where you live or who you live with.

If you wish to enquire or view the accommodation befire applying online, please call 0330 127 8471.

What's the difference between The Green Village and Townhouses at The Green?

The Green Village is made up of accommodation blocks with shared apartments of six people, all with private en-suite bathrooms. Townhouses at The Green are shared houses of up to twelve people sharing a large kitchen and living room area, as well as a small garden! The bathrooms in townhouses are shared, with two people sharing one shower room. Find out more about the two accommodation types at the Homes for Students website.

Do I need to insure my belongings?

Contents insurance is included as part of your residency at The Green. This covers in-room theft, fire and flood damage. However, it is important you find out exactly what this insurance policy covers as you may want to consider extending your cover.

What equipment is included?

The majority of furniture and equipment will meet your requirements, view our list of furnishings and fixtures for more details.

Where can I do my laundry?

There is a coin-operated launderette facility (washers and dryers) located on the first floor of The Orchard Building in the student village.

Where are the nearest shops and supermarkets?

Student shops are located in the Richmond Building Atrium and Student Central – selling everything from bread and milk to stationery and toiletries.

There are also a good range of shops, restaurants, bars, supermarket and a pharmacist within 10 minutes' walk of the City Campus.

What if I have a disability?

We have a number of adapted rooms available in The Green including; mobility rooms, ambulatory rooms and adjoining rooms designed for carers. A dedicated car parking provision is also provided.

If you are disabled, or have a medical condition or sensory impairment, please provide an additional information sheet detailing your requirements and send this with your accommodation application.

The details you provide will be discussed with the staff in the Disability Service to ensure we provide the correct facility for you.

If you choose not to disclose a disability or special requirements, we may not be able to offer alternative adapted accommodation at a later date.

Any adapted rooms not allocated to disabled students will be allocated in accordance with the normal University allocation procedure.

The University of Bradford is committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity and equal opportunities. Staff in the Disability Service offer advice, information and support.

Where's the nearest health centre?

Student Health Centre is available on Laisteridge Lane, just five minutes' walk away from city campus. The Centre provides a confidential comprehensive healthcare service.

Please register with the service as soon as possible after arrival.

Is smoking allowed?

We operate a strict no smoking policy inside all of our buildings, however, we do provide designated external smoking areas for students to use at their leisure.

Are there any wardens to support student residents?

We have a small team of Student Wardens at The Green that live on-site and are available for advice and support outside of office opening hours. For accurate working times and availability, please check your welcome information when you arrive, or refer to notices displayed around the property.

If you are interested in applying for a Student Warden role, please speak to a member of staff in reception.

Can I have guests in my room?

Yes, guests are allowed but for no more than two consecutive nights. We encourage students to check that their flatmates are happy with this before inviting guests into the flat.

Pre-arrival frequently asked questions

When should I arrive?

Everything you need to know is on our arrival information page.

What will I need to bring with me?

Bring with you things to help turn your room into your home from home. You’ll need your own bedding, towels, crockery, cutlery, pans, cooking utensils and cleaning materials.

If you can't bring all of this with you – don't worry. You can buy essentials from Just Shop in the Richmond Building Atrium and Student Central. The Students' Union also arrange shopping trips to IKEA during the year.

Can I bring my car?

If you want to bring a car with you, you must first book a car parking space, there is a charge for this. Places are limited and allocated on a first come basis.

Can I bring my bike?

Yes. There are secure bike stores around The Green. Reception supply the security codes.

If you are bringing your bike it is worth considering adding this to your insurance policy.

Do I need a TV licence

Yes. You will need a licence for all live TV viewing and recording, no matter which channel you are watching and what device you are watching it on. This also includes on-demand services such as BBC iPlayer.

For more information visit the Official TV Licensing website.

Where do I collect my mail?

General letters are placed in an allocated post box for you.

All other mail and parcels can be collected from Reception, you will receive an email from us to tell you that mail is awaiting collection.