New Covid-19 ‘asymptomatic’ testing site opens at University of Bradford
Students urged: ‘keep loved ones safe and take a test’
The University of Bradford began testing students today ahead of the Christmas travel window set by the Government.
- Government-backed asymptomatic testing site (ATS) is now open at Unique Fitness Sports Centre
- Testing of students to be available from November 30 to Dec 6
- Results available within the hour
University of Bradford students planning to return home for the winter break AND WHO ARE ASYMPTOMATIC will be offered a test before they travel to help keep their families safe. Eligible students will be contacted and invited to book an appointment through an online system.
Anyone WITHOUT symptoms who is planning to travel home or away from their term-time accommodation will be able to book a slot. Tests are quick, easy, free and confidential.
Professor Shirley Congdon, Vice Chancellor of the University of Bradford, said: “I urge all students without symptoms who are intending to travel to take the test. This will indicate if it is safe to travel for the Christmas holiday period. Taking the test will offer extra assurance to you, your families, friends and community. Testing is quick and easy to book, the results are confidential.”
The University is working with Department of Health and Social Care to run the on-campus ATS. Testing will be available at the following times:-
- Monday November 30 – 10am to 5.15pm
- Tuesday December 1 through to Sunday December 6 - 9am to 5pm
- For more information visit www.bradford.ac.uk/coronavirus/students/testing/.
Students who test negative will then be asked to take a second test three days later and await the results before travelling. Students who test positive will be contacted and given further advice but even those with symptoms should still be able to get home for the winter break.
For any students remaining in Bradford or the nearby area and not travelling, the University is fully committed to ensuring you have access to any support and facilities you may need. Our campus will remain open over the winter break – facilities such as the Library will be open throughout the holiday period and most of our student support services will be available, face-to-face and remotely. More information about what other services and facilities will be available during the winter break will follow soon.
- Take a test at the ATS centre - results are generally available within an hour
- Students should have TWO tests, three days apart
- If both tests are negative, travel to destination within 24 hours of last test
● Anyone testing positive should obtain a confirmatory PCR test through the NHS at https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or by alling 119. Lines are open 7am to 11pm.