Skip to content

Frequently asked questions 

How do I make an appointment to see an adviser at the Disability Service?

  • Call us on 01274 233739.
  • Email us at 
  • Call into the Disability Service and arrange an appointment.

How do I register for support with the Disability Service?

Book an appointment with one of our Disability Advisers.  On your first visit please bring along a copy of any evidence i.e. GP/Consultant/ Educational Psychologist's report confirming that you have a disability or a Specific Learning Difficulty.  

The Disability Adviser will discuss with you the adjustments the university can make to ensure that you are not disadvantaged in your studies.

Can the Disability Service help me to apply for Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) from SFE / NHS?

Yes, please contact the Disability Service for advice and support about making your application.

We offer an administrative drop in session, where we can help students with completing Disabled Student's Allowance (DSA) application forms. 

PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to book an appointment, just turn up at the Disability Service and we will assist you in completing the necessary forms and sending off the paperwork to your funding body.


Do I need to have a diagnosis to be able to access the Mental Health Adviser? 

No. The Mental Health Adviser is happy to advise any students who are experiencing pressures on their mental health, regardless of whether or not you have a formal mental health diagnosis. If you need reasonable adjustments or if you want to apply for Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) the Mental Health Adviser will need to have medical evidence before these can be put into place.

What is the difference between the Mental Health Adviser and the Counselling Service? 

The Mental Health Adviser helps students manage pressures on their mental health alongside their studies. They do not offer therapeutic interventions but offer practical support with the everyday tasks which become more difficult if you are feeling unwell. They can advocate on your behalf with your faculty when you feel unable to do so.

If I see the Mental Health Adviser, will my department automatically be informed? 

No. Departments are only informed if they need to make adjustments to support you in your studies, or you wish to make them aware of your current situation. You remain in control of what information goes where and to whom.

I have dyslexia, what help will I receive from the university?

After we have received evidence that you have had a recent assessment (within the last 3 years) for dyslexia, we will advise your department/tutors on the adjustments they should make for you while you are attending your studies. We also talk to you to determine exam adjustments, such as extra time, and library support, such as extended loans on books. The Disability Service will be available for guidance and support throughout your course.

We can also support you in applying for Disabled Students Allowance either from Student Finance England or the NHS (depending on who your funding body is). Please see the section on Disabled Students Allowance for more information on this.

Does having dyslexia or dyscalculia mean that I'm not intelligent?

No. Dyslexia isn't linked to intelligence. Dyslexia is a specific learning difficulty. This means that you have weaknesses in certain areas, but also many strengths that will support you in your learning.

Did you know that the following people have Specific Learning Difficulties: Einstein, Richard Branson, Eddie Izzard, Jamie Oliver, Zoe Wannamaker, Tom Cruise, Andy Warhol, Steven Spielberg, so it certainly isn't possible to say that dyslexic people are not intelligent. It should be viewed simply as a different way of thinking.

Do I have to tell my tutors that I have dyslexia? 

You do not have to tell your tutors, but we advise that you do so. This is to ensure that they are making adjustments to accommodate your needs. You should not be judged negatively or receive any discriminatory treatment after you have disclosed.

If you choose not to disclose you cannot expect the recommended adjustments to be made.

Do I need to tell future employers that I have dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia? 

No. You do not have to tell them you have SpLD but you will need to think about what aspects of the job you will struggle with. It may then be a good idea to address these issues with the employer. The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 covers employment. If you have declared your disability, the employer cannot dismiss your application on this basis if "reasonable adjustment" can be made in the work place. However, if you do not declare your disability, reasonable adjustments cannot be made.

Having dyslexia and achieving academic success demonstrates to an employer how determined and focused you are. If you do decide to inform the interviewer of your dyslexia, focus on the positive points, such as your skills that will enable you to do the job.

I am having difficulties with some aspects of my course, how can I find out if I have dyslexia? 

The Disability Service can advise you on how to get a diagnosis of dyslexia.

Each year we conduct a screening of all new students using a learning styles questionnaire and this determines if a student should be referred for further testing. The Disability Service can refer students to an Educational Psychologist (which is free of charge to all students) who will carry out a full test and produce a report of findings. This report can then be used to determine which reasonable adjustments may be required.


I received extra time at college / school for exams; will I automatically get extra time at the university? 

No. You will need to book an appointment with one of our Disability Advisers.

The Disability Adviser will discuss with you the adjustments the university can make to ensure that you are not disadvantaged in your studies.

How do I apply for an extension that is disability related?

In the first instance either email or ask your faculty programme administrator for an extenuating circumstances form. Your disability adviser can write in support of your application once your form has been submitted. You will need to inform your disability adviser of the circumstances by email or by making an appointment to discuss.

If I need exam adjustments / changes what do I need to do?

Make an appointment to see your disability adviser to discuss any changes required.

What happens if I need personal care whilst studying at university? 

Personal care is separate from the educational support such as notetakers. Personal care may involve activities such as assistance in and out of bed, help with dressing and bathing, cooking.

If you need personal care whilst at university you need to contact your local social services department to ask for an assessment of your personal care needs. You may already have had this assessment for your life at home but you will need to factor in increased or different levels of support for living at university. If you have not had social services support before and family members have been providing this, you will need to think carefully about what you will need when living independently in preparation for your assessment.

What is non medical help?

This is support provided to disabled students by people as opposed to equipment. It is a central government term. You may hear it referred to at this university as Educational Support Work. People may work for students in roles such as notetakers, sign language interpreters, mobility assistants.  

Can the university support me with transport costs if I have a motability car?

The University of Bradford does not fund any taxi travel costs where students already have a Motability Car.

How can I complain about an aspect of my study coach experience?

Please read the word document below.