About the programme
Summer Experience is your go to internship programme to work with local businesses and organisations. You are eligible to apply if you are an undergraduate student from the University of Bradford and in your first or second year of a three-year course or penultimate year of a four-year course.
If you are accepted on an internship, you will receive a training allowance of approximately £408.80 per week (subject to national insurance and tax reductions). The internships can take place anytime from late May (after the exam period) to September and will be six weeks full-time work (or part-time equivalent).
This is an excellent opportunity to obtain meaningful work experience, gaining skills that will enhance your CV. Successful completion of the programme may also earn you special recognition or certification. Don't miss out on this chance to boost your career prospects.
Students on Summer Experience and other placements share their stories of life at the University of Bradford and their placement journey.
Summer Experience case studies
Placement Case Studies
Who is Summer Experience for?
Any current first or second year undergraduate student of the University of Bradford (you must be returning for at least one more academic year).
You must be eligible to work full time in the UK during the vacation period. If you are an international student please check your Visa status for working during vacations, for most students studying a typical 3 or 4 year undergraduate programme you are likely to have eligibility. If you are unsure about your eligibility to work, please seek advice from the International Student Adviser and check the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.
We welcome applications from disabled students/students with dyslexia to help provide valuable work experience.
If you have any questions about your eligibility to apply for these projects please get in touch via email: email@example.com.
How does it work?
Summer Experience projects are full-time internship opportunities based within local and regional businesses, charities and other organisations, which typically start between the end of May and July. There is a minimum requirement to work six weeks but there may be an opportunity to work longer.
In addition to providing you with an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work experience within a local business or enterprise, the summer experience scheme also provides you with careers advice and support, before, during and after your placement.
During the internship, you will be visited by a member of the Summer Experience team during your internship to ensure the project is running smoothly and we are on hand by telephone or email should any problems or queries arise.
You will be required to complete a self reflective workbook about your internship that details your role and learning, including skills and knowledge developed and considers how your internship may help your future career development plans.
At the end of your internship, all students are invited to take part in a celebration event. This is a chance for us to thank all the participants in the Summer Experience programme. It’s a great opportunity to bring together everyone involved and celebrate the successes of the programme.
How do I apply?
- Summer Experience internships will be advertised on the Handshake Career Centre jobs board. Please be aware that we will continue to add opportunities as and when they become available so keep checking back to make sure you are aware of all the internships on offer.
- Once you have selected a project you would like to apply for, you will be asked to submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating which position you are applying for and why. There will be a deadline indicated on the job advert, and you can apply for as many Summer Experience opportunities as you like.
- To ensure you have the best chance of securing an interview for the internship, please make sure that you seek support and help from Career and Employability Services before submitting your application.
- All applications will be received by the Summer Experience team and forwarded to the host organisation. The organisation will then get in touch with you should you be shortlisted for interview.
What types of projects have been run previously?
Previously students have worked on a variety of projects, including:
- Market research
- Business Analysis
- Graphic Design
- Computer Programming
- Multi media
- New Product Development
- Process re-engineering
- Immigration Advice worker
- Mental health and well-being trainee
- Sustainability and development project assistant
- Charity support assistant
For the first time in two years, our summer experience celebration event was held back on campus, with both nominated students and employers being delighted to receive their awards! It was a fantastic evening of celebration and networking for all attendees. Congratulations to all who took part in this year’s summer experience programme and to our award winners.
Self-development and distance travelled:
Highly commended: Adam Ali
Winner: Henna Badwal
Contributions made to the internship providers business:
Highly commended: Poppy Firth
Winner: Ifeowula Babtunde
Evidence of UOB employability skills:
Highly commended: Chiedozie Arize
Winner: Emi Richardson
Application of research skills:
Highly commended: Dina Hussain
Winner: Anysia Padgett
Exposure to a range of roles across the business and sector:
Winner: STRI Group
Providing a supportive workplace learning environment
Winner: Mind in Bradford
Providing a future-focused workplace experience:
Winner: Airedale NHS foundation Trust
- Airedale NHS Foundation Trust
- Centre Point
- EASA - stronger families
- Girlington Advice centre
- HFT – ‘Luv2meetu’
- Horton community Farm
- Leeds clinical commissioning group (CCG)
- NHS Bradford District and Craven Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
- Proctor Hobbs solicitors
- Solution not sides
- STRI GROUP
- UoB - estates team
- UoB - International support team
- UoB - Student success team
- UoB Labs
If you'd like to know more please email us.