The Summer Experience Programme
The Summer Experience internship programme gives organisations access to a pool of enthusiastic and skilled students who are seeking valuable work experience during the summer vacation period. The benefits include:
- Additional expertise and resource at little or no cost to the organisation
- Dynamic fresh ideas and enthusiasm to help move your company forward
- Opportunity to implement valuable plans into action
- Access to leading edge technological skills from current undergraduate students
- Strengthened links to the University to connect to other business support initiatives
We are looking for a diverse range of projects to engage our students, so will be happy to consider applications from local and regional businesses in all sectors and industries.
How it works
Firstly, think about what you would like to offer. This will depend on your organisational needs, but whatever you have in mind please talk to us and we can make suggestions or help you design your project brief. Please take a look at our case studies section to see what kind of projects have been completed in previous years.
We then ask you to complete and submit our Project Brief Form (below) which details the project specifics, start and end dates, ideal candidate profile and method of application.
We advertise your internship to our current first and second year undergraduates through our jobs board, through targeted emails and through social media and students are invited to apply with a CV and cover letter.
Applications are received by the Employer and Placement Services team and submitted to you who will then shortlist and interview at your convenience.
Students normally start their placement at the end of May or even into June or July and we ask that they run for a minimum of six weeks (or part-time equivalent).
You will be visited by a member of the Employer and Placement Services team around the halfway point to ensure the placement is running smoothly.
We invite employers and students to a celebration event once all internships are completed where there will be an opportunity to meet with other placement providers, students and staff of the University.
Students and placement providers may be asked to submit nominations for award categories. These will be presented as part of the celebration event.
Employers and students on Summer Experience share their stories of their placement experiences.
The host organisation pays students approximately £408.80 per week via the university payroll. The university manages all payroll administration we can also offer you additional funding for six weeks subject to the following criteria:
- SME (less than 250 employees): 50% funded for six weeks, cost to your organisation is £1226.40 for internships between May and July 2023
- Large Organisation (over 250 employees): Self-funded for six weeks, cost to your organisation is £2452.80 (internships can take place at any time over summer)
- Charities - 100% funded for six weeks with no cost to the organisation.
Please note that there are a limited number of funded and part-funded placements. Any payment due is required upfront within the first week of the start of the internship and will be subject to immediate payment terms.
Employer feedback for the Summer Experience programme
“We would like to continue to support this programme and we feel it is very valuable to the students and to the employers. It is a great programme, and we are honoured to be involved with it.”
“The internship has been a really valuable opportunity for us over many years. Thank you University of Bradford”