Dr Tao R Wan
Department of Media, Design and Technology
(Faculty of Engineering and Informatics)
Tao is a senior lecturer in the School of Informatics at the University of Bradford, Director of Post Graduate Research EIMC, and a guest professor at Xian University of Engineering Science and Technology (XAUEST). He received his BSc degree in Engineering and MSc degree in Signal Analysis and Machine State Diagnosis at the XAUEST. He had been a lecturer in the department of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering at the XAUEST before earning the ORS awards to study for his PhD at the University of Leeds on the subject of Image Pattern Recognition and Analysis.
He was a research fellow on Physics-based Modelling in computer graphics, AI and Virtual Reality at the University of Bradford. He was appointed as a lecturer at Heriot-Watt University in October 1999. He joined the School of Informatics as a lecturer in August 2000.
Tao's research interests are focused in the areas of Digital Health, VR/AR technologies, Computer Vision, AI and deep learning, Computational Models for visualisation, Real-time Modelling and Simulation, Games technology, he has over twenty years of experience in Interactive system, VR reality, modelling and simulation and computer games technology, which include:
1. Assistant Medical Technology, No-invasive Medical Procedure Simulation, Medical Training Systems
2. Virtual Reality and Augmented Virtual Reality Software Technology
3. Artificial intelligence and Deep Learning
4. Computer Vision and Image Processing
5. Computational methods for 3D visualisation and simulation, physics-based modelling and simulation for 3D Reconstruction, Digital city, 3D Flood, Urban Traffic, Crowd
6. Advanced Games Technologies, Animation and Visual Effects
He has worked as a principal or key researcher for more than eight funded research projects and have been supervising eight PhD students with four successfully completions and had so far over 110 publications published in peer reviewed international Journals, book chapters and international conferences.
ResearchTaos research interests are focused in the areas of Vision-based Augmented Reality, and Computational methods for immersive games technology and 3D modelling, visualisation and simulation, which particularly targets at VR and games technology, he has over twenty years of experience in Interactive system, VR reality, modelling and simulation and computer games technology, which include:
1. Computational methods for 3D visualisation and simulation, physics-based modelling and simulation of soft body, such as using FEM, and fluid dynamics
2. Biomedical/Medical Computing and Engineering and Applications
3. Augmented Virtual Reality Software Technology, particularly in augmented VR environments, and medical applications, and digital historical sites, and digital tourist
4. 3D flooding modelling and simulation for monitoring and management
5. Modelling of human social behaviours, digital city, urban Traffic simulation and forecast, large crowd Simulation, panic/emergency Behaviour simulation.
6. Artificial intelligence algorithm and applications in interactive systems
7. Computer vision, and image analytical algorithms and image-based 3D reconstruction
8. Serious Games: Game for learning and education, training systems, autonomous agent and robotics, medical applications, industrial modelling and simulation