Lindsey is a registered Clinical Specialist Speech and Language Therapist who specialises in working with people with dementia. She has been responsible for developing specialist Speech and Language Therapy services within a number of NHS Mental Health Trusts prior to commencing her role at the University of Bradford.
Lindsey has a particular interest in supporting people living with dementia who experience eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. In 2015, Lindsey was awarded an Alzheimer’s Society Clinical Training Fellowship to study for a PhD, which she completed in 2020. The study focus was to understand the eating and drinking experiences of people living with dementia and dysphagia in care homes from multiple perspectives. Lindsey has since been awarded a White Rose Post-doctoral Fellowship, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, to further her research in this area.
Lindsey is also passionate about supporting others to develop skills to engage meaningfully with people living with dementia and enhance well-being. Lindsey is involved in developing, delivering and evaluating person-centred dementia care consultancy and training packages for health and social care organisations throughout the UK and internationally. In particular, Lindsey is responsible for the international use and development of two observational tools - Dementia Care Mapping and the Short Observational Framework for Inspection.
- Effective Communication
- Care Homes
- Observational Research Tools
- Dementia Care Mapping
- Short Observational Framework for Inspection
- Person Centred Dementia Care
- Health and Social Care Workforce Development
- Speech and Language Therapy
- University of Bradford - MSc in Dementia Studies with Distinction
- De Montfort University - BSc (Hons) in Human Communication: Speech and Language Therapy
- 01-JAN-20: University of Bradford - PhD
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, Full UK Member
- The Health and Care Professions Council, Registered Speech and Language Therapist
- INTERDEM Academy, Member
- University of Bradford Research & Knowledge Transfer Committee,
- University of Bradford Research Information System User Group,
- 01-JAN-15: Clinical Training Fellowship
- 01-JAN-21: Post-doctoral Fellowship
- RCSLT National Advisor in Dementia and Dysphagia:
|Person-centred communication in dementia care (2015)
|Downs, Murna G.; Collins, L.