Like any Opticians, the Primary Care clinic offers comprehensive eye examinations (sight tests), providing a prescription for spectacles if required, a detailed assessment of the health of your eyes and screening for diseases that affect the eyes and vision.
We also provide health and safety advice and spectacle correction for those working on computers.
Eye examinations are undertaken by final year Optometry students under the direct supervision of qualified Optometry staff.
Because the examination is very thorough and closely supervised, it can take up to 1.5 hours to complete all tests. For this reason, we offer sight tests, spectacles and contact lenses at reduced costs.
Eye examination charges for the teaching clinics
- £7.50 for University of Bradford students
- Free for Optometry students
- Free NHS tests for eligible groups. Are you entitled to NHS help?
- If you wish to be seen by our staff optometrist outside teaching clinics, the cost is £35.00
To provide you with the best possible care, it is helpful if you bring the following with you to your appointment:
- your last spectacle prescription
- all spectacles and contact lenses you currently use
- list of your current medication
- your GP's details
In England and Wales, the National Health Service (NHS) makes free eye examinations available to UK residents who fall in to one or more of the following categories:
- Children under 16 years*
- Full time students under 19 years*
- Those aged 60 years and over
- If you or your partner receives income support, income-based job seeker's allowance, pension credit guarantee credit, or you receive tax credits and are named on a valid exemption certificate*
- The named individual on a valid HC2 certificate*
- Individuals who are registered blind or partially sighted
- Individuals suffering from diabetes or glaucoma
- Individuals who have been advised by an ophthalmologist that they are at risk of glaucoma
- Individuals aged over 40 who are the parent/brother/sister/child of a person who has or had glaucoma
- Individuals who have been prescribed complex lenses
* These individuals are also entitled to help with the cost of spectacles.
If you think you may qualify for a free eye examination but are not sure, download leaflet HC11 - Are you entitled to help with health costs?
This leaflet is also available from post offices, social security offices, NHS hospitals and your local GP surgery.
You may be entitled to partial help towards the cost of a private sight test if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate.