BiographyKate Johnson MFA PG Dip(Oxon) BA(Hons) PGCE FHEA
Kate's background is in art practice and art history. Recently she has interwoven her practical and academic interests with the discipline of Design. Current research interests border art, culture, science and technology. Kate is currently artist and PI on AHRC funded 'Project code-named Humpty' [P c-n H] which is linked with the University of Bradford archaeological science 'Fragmented Heritage' project. P c-n H includes collaborations with University of Leeds Civil Engineering, Bradford UNESCO City of Film, Buro Happold Engineering, Hanson Aggregates and Christeyns UK Ltd. Kate currently teaches Drawing for Production across several programmes and contributes to final year project supervisions across the faculty of Engineering and Informatics.
SELECTED REVIEWS AND PUBLICATIONS
2020 Feb - Mar Millenium Square 'big screen' Leeds. Screenings of P c-n H films - in partnership with Bradford UNESCO City of Film
2018 Jan - ongoing Centenary Square, ‘big screen’ Bradford. Screenings of P c-n H films
2017 July ‘Burn, break, bulldoze: is it ever okay to destroy a piece of art? The Conversation https://theconversation.com/burn-break-bulldoze-is-it-ever-okay-to-destroy-a-piece-of-art-81073.
2013 Online catalogue for ‘YA4’ Leeds Gallery March showing 12 landscapes
2012 ‘Yorkshire Post’ 28th September 2012. Article/ image ‘Man and Machine’
2011 Ilkley Art Trail :http://ilkleyarttrail.blogspot.co.uk/2011_09_01_archive.html
2004 ‘The View’ [The Art House]. Front page: image 'Requiem for A Young Man'
2000 ‘Art Review’ March/April. Photo published of ‘North, South, East, West’.
2000 ‘Falmouth Packet’ March 30 “New exhibitions at Falmouth Art Gallery"
2000 ‘Leisure Briton’ April 6. “Incorporating Art with Nature” - reference to Falmouth exhibition
2000 ‘Cornwall Review’ April p.4. Coverage of Falmouth exhibition and photo published of ‘North, South, East, West’.
2000 ‘Cornwall Life’ April p.74. Coverage of Falmouth exhibition and photo published of 'Last Judgement'
1999 ‘The View’ [The Art House] no. 16 Profile - Kate Johnson Photo published of ‘Vesuvian Man’ work in progress for Falmouth Art Gallery.
1998 ‘The View’ no. 15 Photo of exhibition at Henshaw’s Arts Centre ‘99 'Ceres'
1998 ‘Collage’ newsletter no. 11 - Photo of exhibition - Vital Art ‘98 'Hecate'
1997 Axis National Artists Register [computer database] Leeds Metropolitan University. Photos published of '1492', 'Narcissus', 'Last Judgement', 'The Fall of Icarus', 'North, South, East, West' and 'Man'.
1995 ‘Royal Academy Magazine’ Sept. issue. Photo of 'The Dispossessed'.
1995 ‘Index Magazine’ Kent and area. Photo published of 'Three Figures'. 1994 ‘St. Louis Post Dispatch’ January 6 Review - Carol Ferring Shepley US.
1993 ‘St. Louis Tower Grove Gazette’ November. Review - Stephanie Gavin. Photo published of '1492' US.
1993 ‘The Chicago Reader’ September 17. Photo published of 'Narcissus' US.
1993 ‘Savannah News’ April 4. Review -Marty Shuter US.
1993 ‘The Georgia Guardian’ April 9 Review - Katherine Sherman US.
1992 ‘St. Louis Post Dispatch’ November 26 Review - Carol Ferring Shepley US.
1992 ‘St. Louis Post Dispatch’ October 8 Review - Ronald Duffy US.
1992 ‘Savannah Morning News’ July 5 Review - Lisa Perot Twigg. Photo published of 'The Fall of Icarus' US.
1991 ‘Art Calendar’ Photo published of 'Mary Rose' US.
1991 Kansas City Area T.V. ‘University Magazine’ Feb. 2. Focus on 'Belladonna'
1990 Catalogue for 9th Annual Alexandria Museum of Art 'Belladonna' and 'Mary Rose'.
1987 ‘Arts Review’ May 8. Review - Jane Norrie. UK.
1987 ‘The Oxford Times’ May 8. Review - 'N.B.' UK.
1987 ‘Isis Magazine’ (Oxford University), issue 87/II. Review - Liz Jones. UK.
1986 ‘Isis’ Magazine (Oxford University), issue 86/II. Review - Jennifer Noon. Photo of 'Coiled Figure' UK.
RESEARCH RELATED ACTIVITY
2019 Jun - Presentation 'Mould Making, Materials and Casting in Project code-named Humpty' Session: Embodied Knowledge Lasting Impressions: Making and Re-Making the Replica Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford
2019 Feb - attended 'Celebrating Reproductions' at V and A, London
2018 April - Presentation of 'Project code-named Humpty' at AHRC Digital Transformations Workshop ‘Reconnecting Artistic Practice and Humanities Research’, Furtherfield Commons, Finsbury Park
2018 Mar - Meeting with P c-n H project mentor, Alison Smith, Senior Curator, National Portrait Gallery, London
2018 Under consideration by Plos One ‘New Advances in the Automated Digital Reconstruction of Fragmented Artefacts for Cultural Heritage Conservation’ Dr Adrian Evans; Thomas Sparrow; Hayden Strawbridge; Andrew Holland; Kate Johnson; Robert Davis; Jarod Hutson; Matt Pope; Nick Ashton; Andrew Wilson
2017 Nov attended ‘Modern Classicisms: Classical Art and Contemporary Artists in Dialogue’ at King’s College, London
2017 July ‘Burn, break, bulldoze: is it ever okay to destroy a piece of art? The Conversation https://theconversation.com/burn-break-bulldoze-is-it-ever-okay-to-destroy-a-piece-of-art-81073
2017 Jun Visit to Blythe House, Olympia, London re Cast and Mould Storage, British Museum
2017 March Visit to British Museum Replications Department to meet Mike Neilson
2017 March Presentation ‘Project code-named Humpty’ University of Glasgow EED&PN Symposium March 23rd
2016 Feb attended ‘Symposium on Art and Terrorism’ The Courtauld Institute of Art – The Sackler Research Forum
2015 July Presentation of 'Project code-named Humpty' at the AHRC Digital Transformations Theme 'Large Grants meeting', University of Oxford
2015 Oct 'Drawing Differently', The Big Draw, National Media Museum Presentation and talk about 2D and 3D drawing including a live clay sculpting demonstration. Event undertaken in collaboration with Fin Caton-Rose
2015 Organised conference session: 'Artist and Archaeologist/Artist Archaeologist/ Archaeologist Artist' for Theoretical Archaeology Group [TAG] Conference, University of Bradford
2015 Curated a digital art exhibition 'TAG art 2015' presenting art which explores archaeological themes or processes for the Theoretical Archaeology Group [TAG] Conference, University of Bradford. The exhibition ran during the plenary session and throughout the conference in the Atrium. Dec
2015 Dec Delivered paper entitled 'Creation, destruction and transformation: 'Project code-named Humpty' at the Theoretical Archaeology Group [TAG] Conference, University of Bradford
2015 Exhibited 'Man and Machine', 'Vesuvian Man', 'North, South, East, West' and work in progress in digital exhibition 'TAG art 2015', University of Bradford
2014 Dec 'Becoming Human', University of Bradford. Exhibition of 'Man and Machine' and a live clay sculpting demonstration. Part of the 'Being Human' festival of the Humanities
- 01-JAN-90: Washington University in St. Louis, USA - M F A
- 01-JAN-86: Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford, - Postgraduate Diploma
- 01-JAN-85: University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. - B A (Hons)
- University of Bradford - Lecturer in Design
- 01-JAN-16: - Member of team - VC Award for Outstanding Achievement
- 01-JAN-10: - Excellence in Teaching Award
- 01-JAN-07: - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 01-JAN-00: - Year of the Artist Award -Research and Development
- 01-JAN-99: - Yorkshire Arts Individual Artist's Award
- 01-JAN-89: - Eliza McMillan Scholarship
- 01-JAN-90: - Fulbright Scholarship
- 01-JAN-86: - British Academy Scholarship
- 01-JAN-84: - Hatton Prize for Painting.
- 01-JAN-83: - John Christie Scholarship for Painting
- 2011 'Man and Machine' British Science Festival, Bradford Exhibition and lecture
- 2014 'Becoming Human' event related to the 'Being Human' Festival of the Humanities Exhibition of 'Man and Machine' and clay sculpting demonstration
- 2015 'Drawing Differently' The Big Draw, National Media Museum Presentation of 2D/3D Drawing including a live clay sculpting demonstration
- 2018 Ongoing public showings of Chapters One, Two and Three of 'Project code-named Humpty' Big Screen Bradford/Leeds in partnership with Bradford UNESCO City of Film
- 1985 'Kensington and Chelsea Annual Exhibition' London: Group exhibition by selection
- 1986 'Allegories I' Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford: Solo exhibition
- 1987 'Allegories II' Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford: Solo exhibition
- 1990 'Ninth Annual International' Alexandria Museum of Art, Alexandria, LA, USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1991 'Greater Midwest International' Central Missouri State University MO USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1991 'Andes to the Amazon' The Lodge, Tambopata Nature Reserve, PERU: Solo exhibition
- 1992 'Four Artists' International Oasis Gallery, Savannah, GA, USA : Group exhibition by selection
- 1992 'Pertinent Dissimilarities: The Figure' Cecil Hunt Gallery, St. Louis MO USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1992 'Museum Without Walls International' Central Missouri State University MO USA : Group exhibition by selection
- 1993 'Beyond the Figure' International Oasis Gallery, Savannah, GA, USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1993 'Four Artists' St. Louis Repertory Theater, St. Louis MO USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1993 'Sculpture Painting' Gallery 1616, Chicago USA: Solo exhibition
- 1994 'The Tesmer Collection' Gallery 1616, Chicago, IL, USA: Group exhibition by selection
- 1995 'The Human Figure' Fairfax Gallery, Tunbridge Wells, Kent: Group exhibition by selection
- 1996 'The Body A.R.C.' Piece Hall, Halifax: Group exhibition by selection
- 1996 'Opere Recenti' The British Institute, Florence, ITALY: Solo exhibition
- 1998 'Artists in Arms' British Red Cross Royal Geographical Society, London: Group exhibition by selection
- 1998 'Vital Art 1998' Atlantis Gallery, London: Group exhibition by selection
- 2000 'Five Apocalyptic Pieces' Falmouth Art Gallery, Falmouth: Solo exhibition
- 2003 'Dreams' Doncaster Art Gallery, Doncaster: Group exhibition by selection
- 2013 'YA4' Yorkshire Artists (Part 4), Leeds Gallery, Leeds: Group Exhibition by Selection
- 2017 ‘Not Just Hockney’ Bradford Big Screen : Group exhibition by selection
- 2011 ‘Man and Machine’ British Science Festival Bradford http://blogs.brad.ac.uk/bsf/2011/09/10/man-and-machine-sculpture-and-engineering/: Exhibition