Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Living Costs

Living costs are calculated for visa purposes as being £1,015 per month for students who live outside of London.

If you are on a course of 12 months or more, you need to show that you have living costs for nine months, ie: £1,015 x 9 = £9,135 - in addition to the tuition fees for the first year of your course - when you make your visa application.  

Most of our accommodation contracts in Halls of Residence are for 42 weeks (10.5 months).

(See our Accommodation website for more details.)

The money that you will actually require during the year will, therefore, need to be adjusted accordingly.

We have given a few examples of typical costs below to give you some guidance:

Share this

Estimated minimum living costs in Bradford 2017/201842 weeks51 weeks
Accommodation depending on type £2,140 - £4,450* £2,600 - £,5400*
Food, toiletries and laundry (based on £50 per week) £2,100 £2,550
Toiletries, laundry and household (based on £15 per week) £630 £765
Books, stationery, photocopying and printing (based on £10 per week) £420 £510
Mobile phone costs (based on £10 per week) £420 £510
Local Travel – if required (based on £10 per week)  £420 £510
Set up costs (based on £500) £500 £500
Insurance for personal possessions £70** £70**
Estimated minimum total for guidance only £6,700 to £9,010 £8,015 to £10,815

* Accommodation may be in Halls of Residence (standard rooms or ensuite rooms available) or in private housing. Halls of Residence rents usually include all utility bills. Rents in private housing are generally for room only, and the costs of utility bills are additional. Please check with your accommodation provider for further details.

** Insurance for personal possessions is included in Halls of Residence rent. Rent in private houses does not include this insurance, and this cost should be included in your budget planning.

Don't forget to budget for other costs and the time of year

The costs given above are estimates, and do not include any money for local/national travel or leisure activities.

Remember that you will need additional money to cover these costs.

The figures are also based on a student who prepares most of their meals themselves, rather than eating out all the time.

Everyone is different and you may need to adjust these figures according to your own lifestyle and circumstances!  

The amount of money that you need also varies according to the time of year.

At the start of the academic year you will need to have access to enough money to pay accommodation deposits and rents (although it is best to pay these in advance), and also to buy items that you need when you first arrive such as books, stationery, bedding and kitchen equipment.

You may also find that you need to buy some warm clothes in your first few days, as the temperature in September can be quite variable, and is often very cold if you are going to be a January start student.

Arrange some reserve funding

We would advise you to arrange to have additional reserve funding available to you, to take account of any possible changes of circumstances (such as a change in the exchange rate or situations in your home country) or unforeseen personal problems.

If you are being funded from your home country, you will need to make sure that your money can be sent to you regularly.

Advice on budgeting

Advice on the UKCISA webpage can help you budget your living expenses.

Food shopping

The multi-cultural nature of our city means that you are likely to be able to buy many food items that you are familiar with. MySupermarket gives an indication of how much you can expect to pay for basic groceries in the UK.

Living costs for a family

Please refer to Bringing the Family.