Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Completion of Studies

If you complete your course within the correct amount of time as stated on your CAS you will be allocated a discretionary period of leave, usually 2 or 4 months depending on the length of your course, after your course end date.  Full details can be found at Visa Granted. During the discretionary leave period the Home Office allows you to work full time within certain limits and during this period the University is no longer required to monitor you under the Tier 4 regulations.

If you have had an extension to your end date and did not require a visa extension to cover this period, you will need to ensure that you do not work full time until after the completion date, the University is still your sponsor until you have met all the academic engagements.

Travel Abroad

If during the discretionary period you decide to travel abroad or return to your home country the University is not required to report this to the Home Office.  Should you decide to return to the UK after your holiday you need to be aware that you may be stopped at the port of entry and questioned as to why you are returning with a short time period left on your visa. You could be refused entry as the visa you will be trying to enter on was for study which has now finished.  

If you do decide you want to travel back for example to attend your graduation ceremony then you do so at your own risk.  You should get a letter from the HUB, student support which confirms that you have completed your studies and are returning for graduation, details of the graduation requirements can be found at Graduation.  This may or may not be accepted by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry.  

We would advise that you apply for a standard visitor visa in order to attend the graduation ceremony to avoid any problems upon entry.

If you are planning to study further in the UK you should apply for your next Tier 4 visa in your home country BEFORE you travel back to the UK.