Skip to content
Open menu Close menu

Frequently Asked Questions

How far in advance should I request rooms for large events such as open days, assessments, school visits, conferences etc?

For events and activities taking place during the 2016/2017 academic year room requests must be submitted to before Friday 29 April 2016.

How do I book a meeting room?

Staff can book meeting rooms via the Timetabling team.

Please visit the 'Book a room' section for further information.

How do I book a room for teaching purposes?

To book a teaching room please contact the Timetabling team – visit the 'Book a room' section for more information.

If you wish to book a room for teaching or assessment purposes after 13:00 on a Wednesday or 13:00-14:00 on a Friday, you will need to complete the Non-Teaching Hours Exception Form.

How do I amend an existing teaching booking?

To make a change to the timetable, please complete the Timetabling Change Request Formand submit this to the Timetabling team.

Where can I find a map of the campus?

Just follow the link below:

Is there an online plan showing buildings/rooms on campus?

There's a campus map on the Estates and Facilities webpage showing the building locations around campus, so just click on the following link:

Where can I find more details about individual rooms?

For detailed information on room facilities, capacity, style and equipment visit the relevant webpage from the Information Services website

Can I book a room for an event?

It is possible to book rooms for an internally-led event – to find out more information please visit the Events & Partnerships webpage.

How do I report a fault in one of the rooms?

If you find a fault within a room, such as an equipment failure, a broken chair, or heating problems, you need to report it to the Estates Helpdesk on x3001 or email - details can be found on their homepage: Estates & Facilities.

How does Check-In affect academic staff?

Automated card readers dramatically reduce the requirement for academic staff to take paper registers in class.

In the majority of teaching spaces, one or more card readers will be fixed to the wall and students will Check-In as they enter the room.

These fixed readers are linked to module information, so it is imperative that you contact your Faculty Timetabler(s) if you need to change the location or time of a taught activity.  

Students are required to Check-In once for each individual teaching event.

So if a lecture and the tutorial are timetabled as separate events, then they would need to Check-In a second time.

If however they are timetabled as one event, then only one Check-In would be necessary.

In some smaller classes, or for teaching taking place outside the classroom, each Faculty will have a number of portable card readers.

Your Faculty Office can supply you with one of these.

Instructions for using the portable readers can be found here:

What should I do if I'm scheduled to teach in a room with no card reader?

In this situation, you should contact your Faculty: see the Who to contact about absence and attendance page, or you can download a paper Check-In record using the link below:

What happens if a student forgets their card?

If a student forgets their card, they will need to complete a paper Check-In record.

Academic staff are responsible for collecting these forms from the Faculty or downloading them using the link below, completing the event information (module code, date, time, etc) and returning the forms to Attendance staff in their Faculty.

The student is responsible for completing their name and UB number. You can find out who to contact about these forms on the Who to contact about absence and attendance page.

There may be situations where a student has not yet received their student card - for example students with a Conditional Enrolment form.

In this situation, the student should follow the instructions above. 

The template paper Check-In record can be collected from the Faculty office, or downloaded here:

How should students report unavoidable absence due to family crisis / illness / etc?

If a student is too ill to attend classes, they will need to contact the Faculty as soon as possible, preferably before the class takes place.

They will advise as to how students can register absence, according to the requirements of their course.

This will usually be through an online form, although students who are unhappy / unable to use the online form may telephone the Faculty directly.

If a student cannot attend classes due to a family crisis or other emergency, they should also contact the Faculty as soon as possible.

Contact details are on the Who to contact about absence and attendance page.

The University does not allow absence for students wishing to take holidays during teaching.

What should I do if I see students Checking-In using more than one card?

It is forbidden for a student to Check-In on behalf of somebody else or to complete a paper register for another student.

Any student caught doing this will be required to explain their actions to the Dean of their Faculty.

Repeat offenders will be subject to disciplinary procedures.

Please report any such behaviour to the Faculty. Contact details are on the Who to contact about absence and attendance page.

Who should I contact if a card reader is not working?

Wall-mounted reader not working?

  1. Call 3333 with details of the room and room phone number.
  2. Contact Faculty Office for a paper register.

Hand-held Reader not working?

  1. Call 4848 to check correct procedure.
  2. If faulty, contact Faculty Office and request a different reader.

Hand-held Reader won't upload to PC?

  1. Call 3333 and describe the problem.

What about postgraduate students?

Postgraduate Taught students

Students only undertaking dissertations will be required to maintain monthly engagement, defined by their dissertation supervisor.

A record must be kept of this engagement that reports on academic progress.

Postgraduate Research students

Research students are expected to maintain monthly engagement meetings with their PhD supervisor(s).

A record must be kept that reports on academic progress.