Information for Students
Do you want the opportunity to gain some real work experience this summer?
- We are working with local companies to provide high quality short term summer placements for students who can demonstrate they are keen, enthusiastic and up for a challenge.
- You will be paid a training allowance of £TBC per week.
- The internships can take place anytime from late May (after the exam period) to September and will be 6 weeks full time work (or part time equivalent).
Who can apply?
Any current first or second year undergraduate student of the University of Bradford; that is you must be returning to your second or final year of study in September.
You must be eligible to work full time in the UK during the vacation period. If you are an international student please check your Visa status for working during vacations, for most students studying a typical 3 or 4 year undergraduate programme you are likely to have eligibility. If you are unsure about your eligibility to work, please seek advice from the International Student Adviser and check the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.
Are you concerned that as a disabled graduate you might find it harder to get work once you qualify? Because disabled people continue to be underrepresented in the job market, we are also targeting our programme for disabled students/students with dyslexia.
If you have any questions about your eligibility to apply for these projects please do get in touch with the Careers Service or come in and speak to one of our advisers.
How does it work?
• Summer Experience projects are full-time placements based within local and regional businesses, charities and organisations, which typically start at the end of May or into June or July. There is a minimum requirement to work 6 weeks but there may be an opportunity to work longer.
• In addition to providing you with an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work experience within a local business or enterprise, the summer experience scheme also provides you with advice and support, before, during and after your placement.
• At the end of your placement, all students take part in a celebration and awards ceremony. This is an opportunity for us to thank all the participants in the Summer Experience programme. It’s a great opportunity to bring together everyone involved and celebrate the successes of the programme.
What types of projects have been run previously?
Previously students have worked on a variety of projects, including:
• Market research
• Business Analysis
• Graphic Design
• Computer Programming
• Multi media
• New Product Development
• Process re-engineering
Read case studies of previous summer experience students here
During the internship
You will be visited by a member of the Summer Experience team during your internship to ensure the project is running smoothly and we are on hand by telephone or email should any problems or queries arise.
You will be required to complete a self reflective workbook about your placement that details what you have been involved with, what you have learnt - skills, knowledge etc and how this placement may help your future career development plans.
I'm interested - what do I do next?
Summer Experience placements will be advertised on the Live Vacancies section of this website and via our Jobs Online database. Please be aware that we will continue to add opportunities as and when they become available so it's important you keep checking back to make sure you are aware of all the placements on offer.
Once you have selected a project you would like to apply for, you will be asked to submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com clearly stating which position you are applying for and why. There will be a deadline indicated on the job advert.
Please note that you are not restricted in your applications; that is you can apply to more than one.
To ensure you have the best chance of securing an interview for the placement, please make sure that you seek support and help from the Career and Employability Services before submitting your application.
All applications will be received by the Summer Experience team and forwarded to the host organisation. The organisation will then get in touch with you should you be shortlisted for interview.
Benefits for students:
- You will gain meaningful work experience, that will be an excellent addition to your CV
- Enhanced career prospects
- £TBC per week (paid monthly)