Certificate of International Foundation Studies
Duration: 1 year
Attendance mode: Full-time
Placement: Placement year not available
Suitable for international students
The Certificate of International Foundation Studies is a pre-degree access foundation year programme for all subjects which helps you, as an international student, to develop:
- advanced English language skills
- higher level study skills
- subject related knowledge
This additional programme of study enables you to communicate and study effectively at undergraduate level.
- be taught by language and subject specialists
- develop academic level English language skills
- receive dedicated pastoral support in choosing your career path
This course is designed for students who do not have the necessary qualifications for registration directly onto a degree course.
Successful completion of this programme will allow you to progress to degree level programmes across the university. Find details in the PDF documents below:
- Faculty of Engineering and Informatics progression requirements (PDF, 269KB)
- Faculty of Health Studies progression requirements (PDF, 252KB)
- Faculty of Life Sciences progression requirements (PDF, 248KB)
- Faculty of Management and Law progression requirements (PDF, 258KB)
- Faculty of Social Sciences progression requirements (PDF, 251KB)
This programme has been designed with input from our existing international students, and by academics who teach on the programmes you can progress to.
A dedicated programme team will provide guidance about making the right choice for your further study, and help you settle in the UK.
Many of your lecturers are research active, and you will benefit from their expertise in a multitude of areas such as healthcare, medicines development, social sciences and business.
You will have access to The Effective Learning Service (ELS), a dedicated facility located at the Faculty of Management and Law. The ELS supports our students to maximise their academic learning (e.g. assignments and examinations) as well as help overseas students adapt quickly to UK academic requirements.
The ELS provides a huge range of services, including various workshops run during term time, 1-1 consultations and vast printed and online resources to cater for every possible development area.
City of Bradford
Find out why Bradford is a great place to live on our Discover Bradford website.
International students are guaranteed a place in the Green, our purpose-built £40 million student village at the City Campus, putting students right at the heart of the University's academic studies, student facilities, support services and social activities.
The Green is a sociable, secure, home-from-home – and one of the most sustainable developments of its kind in the world. It's just a short walk from the city centre, so you're close to everything you need. The Green has a welcoming community atmosphere, perfect if you’re living away from home for the first time.
1st in UK and 3rd in the world for Accommodation Office support
- International Student Barometer, Autumn Wave 2016
Safe and secure
- Staffed 24 hours a day
- A team of wardens live on-site, providing advice and support
- A security team look after the site from 7pm – 7am Monday to Friday, and throughout the weekend
- The accommodation office at the heart of The Green are on hand to deal with any general queries or issues
A great social life
- The Green Ambassadors, a team of students who work to make your time at The Green unforgettable, run a full programme of events, trips and competitions
- Our townhouses and apartments are designed to encourage sociable living, with open plan communal spaces built and equipped to the highest specifications
- A biodiversity pond water feature, surrounded by barbecue sets, seating and grassed areas, is a hub of social activity at the heart of The Green
- The University of Bradford was ranked 2nd in the UK for living costs, and 4th in the UK for accommodation costs, International Student Barometer, Autumn wave 2016.
- Rent prices include internet facility and WiFi, insurance for personal belongings to a value of £5000, 24-hour security, CCTV, on-site Accommodation Team and out of hours Warden Team
The Green is the first student residential project in the country to achieve the BREEAM accolade of 'outstanding', due to its innovative sustainable design features. Set in beautifully landscaped gardens, The Green provides plenty of places to relax and socialise. It is made up of Townhouses and Apartments, with 1,026 bedrooms designed around a village concept. Both accommodation types feature bright, modern and fully-equipped kitchen and living spaces. In Townhouses bathrooms are shared by two bedrooms, while Apartments have en-suite bathrooms. The Accommodation team administer lettings and tenancy contracts, and provide all the services in The Green to students. The team are based at The Orchard, which also houses the student launderette.
Accommodation for students under the age of 18
Special arrangements are made for students who are under the age of 18 when they come to University.
An accommodation block in the Green is reserved for students who are under 18, and the resident accommodation Warden has had a Disclosure Barring Service check conducted and will be able to help students settle into University life and provide advice and information.
Explore The Green using this interactive 360° tour:
The University of Bradford has been named in the top 200 of the world's most international universities 2016 (Source: Times Higher Education 2016).
- 1st in the UK and 3rd worldwide for accommodation office
- 2nd in the UK and 3rd in the world for disability support
- 1st in the UK for Welcome
- 3rd in the UK and 7th in the world for visa advice
- 2nd in the UK for living costs
Entry requirements differ depending on your country of residence. Please see the Your Country pages or contact Admissions for specific details:
English language requirements:
1.0 IELTS points below the overall English requirement for the chosen degree programme you wish to progress onto. See specific course pages for details.
This must be the IELTS Academic test and taken at a UKVI approved test centre. For a list of approved centres please see the UK Visas and Immigration website.
The modules for this course can be found in the latest programme specification.
Find more information on our module descriptors page.
The Certificate of International Foundation Studies is a pre-degree access programme which helps international students to develop the advanced English language skills, higher level study skills and the necessary subject-related knowledge and skills required to communicate and study effectively at undergraduate level.
You will study a combination of compulsory and optional modules. The core modules aim to support your transition in the UK higher education academic environment, including English language skills and academic study skills. You will be introduced to research activity and develop numeracy, statistical and digital literacy skills needed to succeed at undergraduate level. To further support your transition into university life in the UK you will explore the culture and institutions of UK society.
- English for Academic Purposes (20 credits) Core
- English for Specific Academic Purposes (20 Credits) Core
- Carrying out Research (20 Credits) Core
- Foundation Year Project (20 Credits) Core
- Foundation in Human Biology (20 Credits) Option
- Foundation in Chemistry (20 Credits) Option
- Global Business Environment (20 Credits) Option
- Introduction to Social Sciences (20 Credits) Option
- Foundation Mathematics 2 (20 Credits) Option
You will study four core modules in semester one and two of four optional modules in semester two - you will be guided in the choice of optional modules.
Learning activities and assessment
You will learn via:
- Keynote lectures
- Seminars and group tutorials
- Practical and simulation classes
- Online learning activities and directed study tasks packages
- Collaborative learning
- Enquiry-based learning
- Reflection on learning experiences collected via an e-portfolio
You will be assessed by written assessments, requiring different skills, including written, practical and oral skills which include both coursework and tests under examination conditions.
Career support and prospects
The University is committed to helping students develop and enhance employability and this is an integral part of many programmes. Specialist support is available throughout the course from Career and Employability Services including help to find part-time work while studying, placements, vacation work and graduate vacancies. Students are encouraged to access this support at an early stage and to use the extensive resources on the Careers website.
Discussing options with specialist advisers helps to clarify plans through exploring options and refining skills of job-hunting. In most of our programmes there is direct input by Career Development Advisers into the curriculum or through specially arranged workshops.
Starting salaries will vary depending on the career path you choose. Below are the average starting salaries for a few key areas:
- Chemistry & Forensic Sciences - £21,419
- Pharmacy ( 5 years) - £28,852
- Nursing - £22,417
- Midwifery Studies - £23,412
- Computer Science - £25,100
- Management (business/accounting/marketing/HRM) - £22,186
You will be taught by lecturers who are expert researchers in the fields of:
Fees, Finance and Scholarships
- International: £11,890
- Home/EU: £9,250
The University of Bradford offers a wide range of financial help to assist self-funded students on their university journey. To find out if you are eligible for support please visit the scholarships and support website.
How do I find out more?
Got a question?
Fill in our form and our Enquiries team will answer it for you.
How to apply
Apply through UCAS or directly with the University of Bradford using the online form:
- Apply for 2017/18 entry (September 2017 - July 2018 start)
- Apply for 2018/19 entry (September 2018 - July 2019 start)
Please select the following options:
- Type of Course: Foundation
- Faculty: Faculty of Management & Law
- Course Name: Full-time Certificate of International Foundation Studies
- Start Date: September 2017
If you applying from outside the UK and require additional support you may apply through your country representative.
They can help you at every stage and communicate with the University on your behalf. They often provide additional services to ensure your smooth arrival to the UK such as visa application support and assistance with your travel arrangements.
Further information is available on our International Office website.
Download the programme specification for Certificate of International Foundation Studies
This is the current course information. Modules and course details may change, subject to the University's programme approval, monitoring and review procedures. The University reserves the right to alter or withdraw courses, services and facilities as described on our website without notice and to amend Ordinances, Regulations, fees and charges at any time. Students should enquire as to the up-to-date position when applying for their course of study.