Information for Care Leavers
We are committed to supporting Care Leavers and Looked after Children. If you’ve been in Local Authority care, fostered as a child by relatives other than parents or lived in Foyer Federation accommodation, and you can provide evidence of this, then the University may be able to help you.
We provide financial support and pastoral care. This means that you are entitled to support from the start and until the end of your studies.
The University of Bradford Progression Scheme
From 2019 entry our Admissions Team will take into consideration a number of contextual factors when assessing applications. Applicants who are Care Leavers or previously looked after will automatically receive an offer which is the equivalent of one A Level grade (8 UCAS points) lower than our standard entry criteria.
The scheme is designed to benefit undergraduate applicants whose personal and educational circumstances mean they could be less likely to receive an offer based on our standard entry criteria.
Care leavers support package
The Care Leavers support package offers you all the support you need whilst at university and is designed for care leavers with permanent residence in the United Kingdom and who are ‘home students’ for fee purposes.
Students with refugee and asylum status, and under local authority care, are welcome to apply for support. Please email: email@example.com.
Before you arrive
- Help with your UCAS application to the University.
- Automatically identifying your eligability for The University of Bradford Progression Scheme
- A named staff contact to support and help you with all aspects of University life.
- All year round accommodation including important vacation times.
- Support with child care.
- Assistance with applying for financial support ensuring you receive all your bursary entitlement.
During and after your studies
- Help with sorting out your finances, money management and budgeting.
- Access to support services including Counselling, Childcare, Disability and Careers Guidance.
- Membership of the Care Leavers Forum.
- Access to the University of Bradford Student Ambassador (UBSA) training programme.
- Celebration of your Graduation.
- Support into employment and further study.
- Care leavers grant: care leavers can apply for a grant of £1,000 a year funded by the university
- Student Support Fund: care leavers and students from Foyers are a priority and may be entitled to extra financial support
- Tuition and maintenance loans: all students can apply for tuition and maintenance loans to help cover the cost of attending university
- A*AA/AAA Scholarships: we offer cash scholarships worth £3,500 (over the duration of a 3 year degree) to all Home and EU students who achieve A*AA AAA or higher in their A Levels (or equivalent)
For more information please email us, or call: 01274 236504
Still at school?
We work with schools to encourage looked-after children in Year 6 and above to take part in a wide range of aspiration raising activities.
As a looked-after child, a place is reserved for you on the following activities:
The Bradford Children's University supports children from ages 7-14 to gain a better understanding of University by taking part in various activities and ends in a graduation at the university
Taster Days are available for Year 12 & Year 13 students and help you to gain a real insight into our programmes and Higher Education Study
Contact our care leavers adviser
We have a dedicated Care Leavers Adviser who can offer free, impartial advice to anyone considering applying to university.
They can advise you on qualifications, course options and how to make your application stand out.
Our advisers can also help you to organise a visit to our campus to answer any questions you may have.
Katie Miller, Care Leavers Adviser
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01274 232129