BiographyDr Betmouni graduated from Charing Cross & Westminster Medical School, London in 1989, having previously obtained BSc from the same institution in 1986. She completed junior hospital posts in Medicine, Surgery and Accident & Emergency, and went on to a Clinical Research Fellow post in dementia. The clinical interest and experience in dementia led Dr Betmouni to pursue a research career in basic neuroscience to investigate factors that cause dementia: in particular the natural history of development of pathological changes in the brain. Dr Betmouni completed a DPhil at the University of Oxford (1994-1997) looking at the development of inflammatory response in the brain in chronic neurodegenerative diseases associated with dementia. The results obtained during the course of the DPhil investigations led to the award of a Medical Research Grant on which Dr Betmouni was named post-doctoral scientist (Prof Hugh Perry’s Group, Universities of Oxford and Southampton).
Dr Betmouni’s interest in pathology next saw her take up the post of Clinical Lecturer in Histopathology (University of Sheffield Medical School) in 1999. During this time she trained as a histopathologist and later moved to Bristol in 2001 to embark on her training as a neuropathologist at Frenchay Hospital. During this period of training she continued her research in neurodegeneration. She became a Member and then Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists in 2003 and 2008 respectively, and was appointed Consultant Senior Lecturer in Neuropathology at the University of Bristol in 2006. During this appointment, Dr Betmouni secured a Medical Research Council New Investigator Grant (2008-2011), which she transferred to the University of Bradford in 2010 on her appointment as Senior Research Fellow. During this period she has also worked as Consultant Neuropathologist at Hull Royal Infirmary. In 2012, Dr Betmouni was appointed Director of Clinical Pathology and has been leading Bradford Pathology: a Faculty of Life Sciences to provide education and training in the design and delivery of diagnostic histopathology services and conduct research into factors that can promote the uptake of digital technologies into the laboratory setting. This included a partnership with Philips Digital Pathology Solution to incorporate state of the art digital scanning and image management systems into our laboratory workflow.
In 2015, Dr Betmouni was appointed Deputy Director to the Digital Health Enterprise Zone (DHEZ): a university initiative, in partnership with Bradford City Metropolitan District Council, to bring together academics, business and healthcare professionals to collaborate on developing digital health solutions to clinically-driven health and care challenges. She was appointed Director to the DHEZ in May 2019.
ResearchDigital pathology applications and implementations.
Pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disease
- 01-AUG-89: - Pre-registration House Officer
- 01-AUG-90: - Senior House Officer
- 01-AUG-91: - Senior House Officer
- 01-FEB-92: - Clinical Research Fellow
- 01-FEB-93: - Casualty Officer
- 01-APR-94: University of Oxford - D. Phil Student
- 01-JAN-01: North Bristol NHS Trust - Specialist Registrar in Neuropathology
- 01-MAY-06: University of Bristol - Consultant Senior Lecturer in Neuropathology
- 01-MAY-10: Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Bradford - Senior Research Fellow
- Editor ( Journal ): Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry
- Editor ( Journal ): Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology
- Fellow: Fellow of Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath)
- Representative: BNS Representative on Animal Sciences Group
- tbc: 2003 - MRCPath I
- tbc: 2005 - MRCPath II
- tbc: Brain Pathology
- tbc: British Myology Society
- tbc: British Neuropathological Society
- tbc: Neuropathology Applied Neurobiology