RKT Development Officer
Department of Mechanical and Energy Systems Engineering
(Faculty of Engineering and Informatics)
BiographyDr Paul Spencer joined the IRC Polymer Engineering Laboratories in 2005, having previously worked in the Mechanics of Materials Group at Leicester University. His background is in Computational Solid State Physics, gaining his PhD from Loughborough University. Recently he has been working on a variety of academic and industrially-led research projects involving experimental and Finite Element investigations of polymeric materials at large deformations.
- Finite Element Analysis: Abaqus user-defined materials, contact problems, non-linear analysis, large deformations, Python scripting.
- Mechanics of solid polymers: Oriented polymers, shape memory polymers, constitutive modelling.
- Polymer composites: Multi-phase systems, and numerical modelling of nano-reinforced polymer composites.
- Materials modelling techniques: Continuum mechanics, molecular models, multi-scale schemes, and Monte Carlo simulation.
- Solid phase polymer processing: Experimental, numerical and theoretical analysis of processes such as die-drawing.
- Polymer characterisation: Mechanical stress/strain/rate characterisation, image-based measurement and analysis of deformation behaviour at large strains.