Dr Clare Beckett-Wrighton
|Department||Sociology and Criminology|
|Feedback Hours||Tuesday 13:00-14:00, Wednesday 11:00-12:00|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1274 23 6831|
Research Interests (key words only)
Identity and Social Justice; LGBT construction and experience; Caring, enabling and ability.
- Marital Rape in South Asian Communities
- Racial Profiling and Decision making in Street level Policing
- Pro-social Behaviour and Witness Statements
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
'Gendered Transitions': MA Sciology, Social Policy and Crime.
- Director, Postgraduate Research
- Chair, Humanities, Social and Health Sciences (HSHS) Research Ethics Panel
- Programme Leader, BSC Psychology and Crime
I entered academic work after a long period in Welfare Rights work, supporting benefit claimants through the process of claiming money.
I have also worked for 'Inquest', supporting families who have lost a member in the prison system and for 'Equity' the Bradford centre for LGBT people.
PhD. Leeds Metropolitan University, 2003:
'Journeys of Sexual Identity- Locations of Heterosexuality and Lesbianism in the Lives of Women Who Identify Themselves as Belonging to both Categories.
I'm interested in ways in which members of 'outlaw' groups negotiate social positioning and conversely ways in which 'outlawing' works.
I have completed research projects investigating:
- The experience of partners of people who transition gender
- Ways in which rape survivors frame their reports of rape
- Discussion of Weddings among older lesbians
- Relationships between the context of 'carers' and 'cared for' people, in particular with regard to constructions of care
- Impacts of austerity measures on lesbian and gay people
I am investigating ways in which older lesbians contextualise marriage and civil parnership.
- Beckett (2007) Women, Disability, Care: Good neighbours or uneasy bedfellows? Critical Social Policy 27, ISSN: 0261-0183 (print) 1461- 703X (online) pp 360-380
- Beckett (2004) Crossing the Border- locating heterosexuality as a boundary for lesbian women and disabled women Journal of International Women's Studies- ISSN 1539-8706 pp.44-52
- Beckett + Pearse (2003) Community organisation: a human rights perspective from the 'bottom up' in Together We Will Learn: ethnic minorities and education: eds V.Smékol, H.Gray & C.A. Lewis Barrister & Principal Brno, Czech Republic ISBN 80-86598-40-3
- Beckett + Macey (2001) Race, Gender and Sexuality: The oppression of multi-culturalism Women's Studies International Forum Volume 24, issue 3-4 May-August ISSN- 0277-5395 pp 309-319
Conference Presentations (selected):
- The Oceanic Conference of International studies 30 June 2 July 2010 University of Auckland "Looking forward, looking back: Consent in heterosexual encounters"
- British Society of Criminology Conference 9-11 July 2008 'Creating Change or recreating standards? Diversity, Supervision, Probation.
- Gender Unbound: An Interdisciplinary Conference in the area of Law, Gender and Sexuality' Keele University 9-11 July 2007
- Presentation: Gender, Sexuality and Supervision: Shifting the 'Focus of Control' in Offender Management.