Professor Tom Woodhouse
|Department||Peace Studies and International Development|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1274 234191|
Research Interests (key words only)
Conflict resolution, sport conflict resolution and peacebuilding, football and social cohesion, popular culture and peace, peace and conflict theory.
- BA History First Class Honours University of Leeds (1971)
- PhD History Leeds (1983)
- Founding Director of Centre for Conflict Resolution University of Bradford (1990)
- Adam Curle Chair in Conflict Resolution (1999)
- Emeritus Professor (2010)
Sport, popular culture and conflict resolution, cyber-peace and online learning, history of positive peace thinking and practice.
- E- Learning Programme in Sport Peace and Conflict Resolution supported by The Southall Trust and the Quaker Peace Studies Trust
- Research on Timeline on the History of Positive Peace for the Institute for Economics and Peace
- Research on football foundation and football club activities in community and community education programmes in the areas of peace work, social inclusion and conflict resolution
- Council Member of the Conflict Research Society
- Adviser to British Council on Christmas Truce Project; Adviser to the Independent Football Ombudsman (Football and Community Relations)
- Adviser to Open University of Catalunya and Foundation of Football club Barcelona on Masters degree on Sport Social Inclusion and Conflict Resolution: Adviser to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Conflict Issues
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Institute for Economics and Peace
Forthcoming, in press, Sport and Peace: Time to Change the Playing Field in Routledge Handbook on Sport Development and Peace, 2018.
Contemporary Conflict Resolution (Fourth Edition, 2016 fully revised and updated) Polity Press, Cambridge (co-authored with Oliver Ramsbotham and Hugh Miall). This book was the winner of the Book of the Year Award made by the Conflict Research Society Annual Conference 2011 at the University of Lancaster. The book has been translated into Japanese and Spanish.
Adam Curle: Radical Peacemaker, co-authored with John Paul Lederach and published by Hawthorn Press, 2016.
The Contemporary Conflict Resolution Reader, Polity Press, 2015. Co authored with Hugh Miall and Oliver Ramsbotham.
‘Peacekeeping, Peace Culture and Conflict Resolution’, International Peacekeeping Volume 17, Issue 4, 2010, Pages 486 - 498
‘Peace Operations’, Chapter 38 in Routledge Handbook in Security Studies, edited M Dunn Cavelty and V Mauer, pp. 415-427 (co-authored with O Ramsbotham)
Fostering Peace through Cultural Initiatives, Joint Research Institute for International Peace and Culture, Aoyama Gakuin Foundation and Japan Foundation, March 2010. Authored the foreword pp 5-7 and the chapter on Building a Global Peace Culture, pp. 18-32.
‘Adam Curle: Radical Peacemaker and Pioneer of Peace Studies’, Journal of Conflictology Vol 1, No. 1. 2010. peer reviewed e-journal of the Open University of Catalunya, pp 1-9/
‘Elise Boulding: New Voices in Conflict Resolution’ Journal of Conflictology Vol. 3, No. 2, 2012, (co-authored with Irene Santiago), pp. 4-12.
Editor with Oliver Ramsbotham of the Routledge Series Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution. Twenty one titles published since 2008, twenty three in total since series started 2006.
- Adviser to the Independent Football Ombudsman on Football and Community Relations
- Adviser to the British Council on Football Remembers, part of the First World War Commemorative Events 2016
- Making the Difference? What works in response to crises and security threats. European Commission External Relations
- Andrea Ricci ed Survey of Conflict Resolution: Concepts and Definitions PP 63/54 EU Directorate general for external relations Brussels 2010
Adviser to the Independent Football Ombudsman on Football and Community Relations.