Division: Peace Studies and International Development
Languages: Bilingual in Arabic and Hebrew; Excellent level of English.
Research interests: Minority Rights, the Palestinian- Arab minority in Israel, Citizenship and Identity, State- minority relations, Non-state actors, Non-violent struggle, International relations, Middle East politics, the Israeli- Palestinian Conflict
PhD Title: Internationalization of the National Aspirations of the Palestinian- Arab Minority in Israel
Supervisors: Dr Afshin Shahi and Prof Caroline Hughes
Sponsor: Self and Family
Ilham Shahbari was born and raised in Dabburiya village in Eastern Galilee, Israel. She is a third year PhD candidate in the Peace Studies and International Development Department, at the University of Bradford, UK. Ilham’s research explores the ‘Internationalization of the National Aspirations of the Palestinian- Arab Minority in Israel’. She earned a BEd in Arabic & Hebrew Languages from Oranim Academic College, and postgraduate degrees from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem: a Master’s in Policy, Management & Leadership in Education; and an Executive Master’s of Public Policy. Ilham served as a parliamentary aide to former Knesset member Nadia Hilou (Labor Party), before joining the Ministry of Economy and Industry in 2009, where she held several positions, most recently as a Senior Project Manager for promoting foreign investments.
Conferences and Public Speaking Events:
- Schusterman Center for Israel Studies Brandeis University Association for Israel Studies - 33nd Annual Conference, A Century after Balfour: Vision and Reality (June 2017), Waltham, MA, United States.
- A Joint RUSI-BICOM- Fathom conference, Israel and the Middle East: 50 Years since the Six- Day War (March 2017), London, UK.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, The 12th Annual Graduate Conference: Political Science, International Relations & Public Policy in Memory of Yitzhak Rabin (December 2016), Jerusalem, Israel.
- Trinity College Dublin (TCD), the University of Dublin, The Conflict Research Society Annual Conference 2016: Peace, Conflict and Commemoration (September 2016), Dublin, Ireland.
- SOAS, University of London, 5th Annual Conference on Israel Studies (EAIS); Thinking About Israel: Borders, Boundaries and Cultures (September 2016), London, UK.
- The University of Nottingham, 4th annual Nottingham Postgraduate Conference in Politics and International Relations (June 2016), Nottingham, UK.
- SOAS, University of London, European Association of Israel Studies (EAIS), Graduate Studies Workshop (April 2016), London, UK