Eko Priyo Purnomo
Bradford Centre for International Development (BCID)
I am interested in the process of policy making regarding natural resource management which puts focus on equal open access to natural resources and sustainability. I am especially interested in how to design and make alternative policy which can give a way to natural resource exploitation while on the other hand sustain the development and livelihood of the community. I am considering that one basic problem in Indonesia is the unequal distribution of resources (money, authority, nature and knowledge) which are dominated by the state government. Looking at this problem, I focus on community development and a sustainable natural resource management.
Strengthening local institutions in the context of shifting policies:
The case of community based forest management (CBFM) in Yogyakarta in Indonesia
Dr P.B.Anand and Prof J. Weiss
Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta and Ministry of Education Indonesia
- PhD - 2014, in Political Ecology, University of Bradford, the UK. Focus on Strengthening local community.
- M.Res -2010, Post-Graduate Programme in Environmental Politics and Policy, University of Leeds, the UK. Focus on Development of the local community institutional towards sustainable community-based forest management.
- MA - 2005, Post-graduate Programme in Political Science, Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia. Focus on civil society and community development studies for equality and Sustainable Development.
- BA (Hons) – 2003, Bachelor degree of Political Science or S.IP, majoring Government Studies Department, Faculty of Social and Politic Studies Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia. Focus on civil society and community development studies for equality and transparency.
- 2013 – Conference at the University of Exeter. Presentation: Institutionalised the Government Policy into Local Communities in the Contexts of Shifting Dynamics of Policy. A case study of the complexity of Community-based Forest Management Policy in Indonesia.
- 2013 – 2nd RiDNet Conference at the University of Leeds and my paper tittle is Selecting of interviewee correctly and avoiding possible bias and personal interest in the Qualitative research.
- 2012 - 2nd International Conference on Public Organisation, Korea University, Korea, Presentation: Asymmetric Democracy in Indonesia; Democracy without Governor Direct Election.
- 2011 -1st Int'l Conference on International Relations and Development, Thammasat University, Thailand. Presentation: The Critical Comparison of the Green Parties’ Phenomena between Indonesia and Thailand.
- 2011 - 1st International Conference on Public Organisation, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Presentation; Making Strategic Plan Works in Local Government: Challenge and Problems; A Case Study of Strategic Plan Implementation in Yogyakarta Special Province (YSP).
- 2010- International Conference on Environmental Engineering and Applications, Singapore. Management of Commons with a Proper Way; A critical review Hardin’s essay on the tragedy of commons.
- 2007- International Seminar, held by Ford and Percik NGO Salatiga, Indonesia. Presentation; Reinventing Domination and Territory Reform for Prosperity Solution in Indonesia.
- 2014 The Conflict of Forest Tenure and the Emergence of Community Based Forest Management in Indonesia will be published on The Journal Government and Politics vol 5 no 1 2014.
- 2013 Myths and Religions in Javanese Cultural Axiology: A Case Study on Javanese Belief in Indonesia. Published on The Journal of Asia Pacific Studies Vol 3 no 1 2013
- 2013 Forest Community; Social and Political Base of Community Supporting Awareness of the Sustainable Policy. Published on The Journal of Government Studies, distributed by the Indonesian Society for Government Studies.
- 2012 The Critical Comparison of the Green Parties’ Phenomena between Indonesia and Thailand. Published on The Journal of Alternative Perspectives in the Social Sciences Vol 4 no 1, 2012.
- 2011 Making Strategic Plan Works in Local Government: Challenge and Problems; A Case Study of Strategic Plan Implementation in Yogyakarta Special Province. Published on The International Journal of Public Administration Vol 16, no 2, 2011.
- Lecturer for Conflict Research at the Dept. of Peace Studies, University of Bradford, 2014. (Part-time, Grade 5)
- Lecturer for Induction Week-research method at the Bradford Centre for International Development, the University of Bradford, 2013. (Part-time, Grade 8
- Lecturer for Induction Week at Bradford Centre for International Development.
- Student ambassador at the School of Social and International Studies, the University of Bradford, 2013
- Head of Dept International Programme for Governmental Studies (IGOV), Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta, March-August 2011.
- Board of Lecturers of Government Science, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta, 2005-until now.
- Vice director of A-3 Project, Government Science, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta and Ministry of National Education, Indonesia, 2005-2006.
- Researcher at SHOREA an NGO in Indonesia, 2005-until now.
- Researcher at Centre of Community Forestry, Universitas Gadjah Mada, 2005-2007.
Training and Workshops:
- Research Ethics Approval Process, University of Bradford, UK, 2012.
- Geography Information System and En-VIVO Programme, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK, 2009.
- Target Pre-sessional Programme, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK, 2008.
- Training for Editor of Journal, Malang, Indonesia University Muhammadiyah Malang, Indonesia, 2007.
- In house training for research methodology, Yogyakarta, Indonesia - Collaboration between State University Yogyakarta and University Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2006.
- Training of Trainers: How to be a Tutor, Yogyakarta, Indonesia University Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2006
- Training of Trainers on Urban Environmental Infrastructure and Services Asian Institute Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, 2006.
- Conflict resolution and Mapping stake holders to manage natural recourses. Synergy Institute, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2006.
- Training of Trainers: How to advocate an open access and equal way on sustainable forest management. NGO SHOREA, Yogyakarta, 2003.
Honours and Awards:
- PhD Scholarship from Minister of Education of Indonesia-PhD at University of Bradford, 2011-2014.
- International Fellow Program-Ford Foundation-Master by Research at University of Leeds, 2007-2010.
- The Winner for Competitive Research Grant from the Minister of Education of Indonesia, 2007.
- BPPS Programme-Master of Science at Universitas Gadjah Mada(UGM), 2003-2005.
- Training of Trainer supported by CIDA at Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2006.
- Epson Scholarship Programme-Under Grad at UGM, 1999-2000.
- Johana De Reader Foundation-Under Grad at UGM, 1998-1999.
- 2nd Winner for the Best Research paper at UGM, 1998.