To be eligible to take out US Direct Loans you need to:
- Be a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
- Have a valid US social security number.
- Be accepted on to a programme of full-time or at least 50% part-time study with us (distance learning courses are not eligible programmes; private loans are the only potential options to fund these courses).
- If you are an existing student at the University of Bradford, you have to have been assessed as having made satisfactory academic progress to continue your studies with us.
- Be living in the UK during the course of your studies at Bradford (students who continue to live in the USA during their studies are not eligible – again private loans may be an option).
- Have not borrowed over your federal loan limits or are still in default on repaying previous loans.
- If you are a male over the age of 18, have signed up for selective service or have been officially exempted from selective service.
- Not have any outstanding convictions for drug-related offences.
- Not be registering for a Nursing course at the University of Bradford.
- Federal Aid is for Degree programs only, therefore you cannot be registering for Graduate Diploma programmes such as those in Law.
- United States of America
How to apply
In order to secure your loan you need to complete the following steps, if you are asked to supply the University with any documentation it should be EMAILED to firstname.lastname@example.org. You need to make sure that that you have completed all of the steps below before we start to do our part because if the University starts origination and there is something not completed then the loan will fail which will cost you time:
- Complete the FAFSA
- Check that the information contained on your SAR (Student Aid Report) is correct
- Complete a Master Promissory Note for unsubsidized loans/PLUS loans (MPN)
- Save a copy of your MPNs
- Complete Entrance Counselling
- Inform the University if you are in receipt of any other grants or bursary
- Complete a credit check
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to Establish your eligibility by going to FAFSA website
See details of how to complete the FAFSA
PLEASE NOTE YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A NEW FAFSA FOR EACH YEAR OF STUDY WHILST AT BRADFORD.
To complete the FAFSA electronically, you must have a Federal Student Aid PIN. To apply for a PIN if you do not already have one, or for customer service regarding a previously assigned PIN, visit the Federal Student Aid PIN Web site at www.PIN.ed.gov
After the Department processes your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please retain the SAR for your records and be prepared to provide it to us if we ask.
Please ensure that you have entered the school code G12198 for The University of Bradford onto the FAFSA so that we can automatically access a copy of your SAR.
Check the information on your SAR.
The University will use the information contained on your SAR to confirm your eligibility for a loan therefore you must check that the information is correct.
- Have an EFC on the top right
- Be a US citizen
- Have a valid SSN
- Have registered with Selective Service (Males only)
Complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
In order to apply for a loan you will need to complete a Direct Loan MPN. The MPN is the legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loans and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loans.
An MPN will need to be completed for each type of loan you wish to borrow:
- Stafford Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan
- Plus Loan
Please note that you need to complete a new MPN for each academic year.
You can complete a Direct Loan MPN electronically via studentloans.gov. Please make sure that you have a Federal Student Aid PIN, this is the same PIN used to complete the FAFSA.
Save a copy of your MPN
Please make sure that you save a copy of your MPN for your records as this is a binding legal document between you and the US Department of Education. You should also email the University a copy.
Complete Entrance Counselling
It is a requirement that you complete Direct Loan Entrance Counselling before you receive a Direct Loan. You may complete Direct Loan Counselling by going to studentloans.gov. Please note that you must have a Federal Student Aid Pin, this is the same PIN used to complete the FAFSA. After completing Entrance Counselling you will be notified electronically, please forward a copy to the University.
Provide confirmation that you are not in receipt of any other financial aid (Grant/Bursary etc.), (an email will be sufficient). However if you are in receipt of any other financial funding the University will need to have further details.
Have a credit check done.