University of Bradford Sanctuary Scholarships
Prospective PG students (inc. current UG): available
Current PG students: not available
Entry year: 2020/21
Postgraduate taught: available
Postgraduate research: not available
10 scholarships available
Application deadline: 30 June 2020
About the scholarship
The University of Bradford provides these scholarships to enable people seeking asylum, or those already granted refugee status who cannot access student finance, to participate in higher education.
You must be:
- an asylum seeker or the partner/dependant of an asylum seeker; OR
- an asylum seeker/refugee/partner/dependant who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status ; OR
- a refugee who is unable to access student finance due to previous study;
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Bradford for September 2020 start. For undergraduate study you need to apply for a Bradford course via UCAS
Please also note that you have to apply through UCAS for your university place AND to the University of Bradford for the Scholarship by completing the application form. Do not assume that because you have an offer for a course at Bradford that you will be automatically considered for the Scholarship because you will not.
Postgraduate students will need to apply for a place on a course via the University of Bradford website.
- Currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group which can provide a reference in support of your application
- Unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance or a local authority grant. Those that are classed as care leavers and previously were under local authority care can however apply
- Live within the Bradford Metropolitan District Council Area, or live within a commutable distance to the University and be able to cover your travel costs yourself, or be able to relocate to Bradford without requiring extra financial support
- Do not require support for living expenses or accommodation
- You are also able to get a scholarship/scholarship funding to attend a Pre-sessional English preparation course if your English language level is not high enough to meet the entry requirements of the University/your course. All students will be assessed on an individual basis. Further details of the programme can be found here: Pre-sessional English Language Programme
Applicants must meet these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order to apply. Applicants who do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
What else do I need to know?
- please note that this is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful
- following initial assessment the University will contact you to let you know whether or not your application will progress to the next stage of the selection process
- if your application is taken forward, you will be invited to an interview to discuss the information you have provided in your application
- if you are successful in being offered a University of Bradford Sanctuary Scholarship you will be informed within two weeks of your interview
Former NHS-funded courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Physiotherapy and Radiography will be included in the scholarship this year.
Premium fee courses in the Faculty of Management and Law e.g. the MBA are not covered by this award.
Students from all countries, who meet the criteria, are eligible.
Payment amount & frequency
Successful applicants for the Scholarship Award at the University of Bradford will be provided with:
- Tuition Fee Grant: Successful students will be offered a tuition fee-remitted (i.e. no fees) place at university until such time as they are awarded status that entitles them to access student finance (if at all)
- A Travel and Course Costs Grant: Successful students will be offered a £500 a year (per year if applicable) grant to help with travel and course costs
- Personal Support: In addition to fee remission, support will be available for students to enable them to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme and for their future careers
The University of Bradford will not be able to provide any financial support for accommodation or living costs. Students should only apply if they are able to support these costs themselves during their university course. Students will need to provide proof of this.
How to apply
The application form is available below. Please read the guidance notes fully before applying. You must provide a statement from a referee in support of your application, without this we will not be able to consider your application.
We are no longer accepting application forms by post. Please send your completed application and supporting documents via email to email@example.com Please remember to enclose proof of your qualifications if you have it and your referee’s statement.
Closing date: 30 June 2020.
Closing date: 30 June 2020.
Find out more
For further information or any queries you can:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01274 236637
Or call into My Bradford Student Support centre in the Richmond Building.