Successful exploitation of intellectual property provides a financial return to both business and the University and the local economy through spin-out company creation, joint ventures / co-development (spin-in company and collaborative research and development), licensing and sale of intellectual capital.
As an academic, you can benefit by:
- applying your research to meet market and customer needs.
- working with experts who can move the commercialisation of your project on, allowing you to still focus on your research.
- creating wealth for yourself, your School and the University.
- getting the opportunity to work with different people with novel insights and knowledge.
- progressing your career from gaining new skills.
- Accessing translational research funding.
- creating and working with a spin out company.