Mr Glen Thompson
|Position||Research and Knowledge Transfer Development Officer and Senior Technician|
|RKT Centre||Polymer Micro and Nano Technology|
Apprentice trained Electro\Mechanical Engineer with CAD and CAM experience
Senior research Technician at Leeds University Physics department for 12 years
- Designing and building bespoke research equipment for application-specific projects e.g. Micro Die-drawing for SAX/WAX X-ray and Biaxial oriented stent production apparatus with real-time monitoring and data collection.
- Designing and setting-up bespoke polymer extrusion equipment for novel products including Billet manufacture, Tubing, Skin/Core filaments and Profiles.
- Single screw melt polymer processing including Ridged/Flexible Tubing, Monofilament, Multifilament and Profile extrusion.
- Twin-screw melt polymer processing including Gel Electrolytes, Medical Tubing and Compounding.
- Injection Moulding Tool design, Machine operation and Shape memory over-moulding.
- Solid phase processing production expertise include Solid and Hollow Profiles, Shape memory products and Hot Compaction.
Currently working with SINOPEC, SABIC, Cardiff University and the EPSRC
Articles in Journals
‘Development of High Shrinkage Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Shape Memory Polymer Tendons for Concrete Crack Closure’ Journal of Applied Polymer Science. Manuscript reference number APP-2016-05-1463
Separator-free rechargeable lithium ion cells produced by the extrusion lamination of polymer gel electrolytes
Journal of Power Sources. Volume 162, Issue 2, 22 November 2006
‘Neck profile geometries in solid phase processing of polymers’ PPS-32 Lyon, France
‘Study of ultrasound carbon nanotubes migration in polymers’ PPS-Graz, Austria
‘The Effect of Die Surface Roughness on Die-Drawing of Commodity Polymers’ PPS-29, Nuremberg, Germany
‘Axial and Biaxially Oriented Polymers’, CIPS 2012, Maastricht
‘Oriented Polymers for Architectural Composites’, PPE11, Bradford, UK
Other research activity
Patent WO2013050775A1 Medical devices containing shape memory polymer compositions 2013
Patent WO 2013050782 A3 Tailored polymers 2013
Patent WO 2013050781 A3 Process for the manufacture of shape memory polymer material 2013
Patent WO2013050778 A1 Shape memory polymer compositions 2013
Patent WO 2008057168 A1 Substantially proportional drawing die for polymer compositions 2008
Patent WO 2008144183 A3 Low density oriented polymer composition with inert inorganic filler 2009
Patent WO 2009130033 A1 Process for Making Opaque Polyester Film 2009
Patent WO 2009130032 A1 Flexible intermediate bulk container 2009
Patent WO 2014045068 A1 Method of producing a tube for use in the formation of a stent, and such tube 2014
Dr Cristina Tuinea-Bobe
Senior RKT Development Officer
Tel: +44 (0)1274 23 3744
Mob: +44 (0) 7511 064815
University of Bradford