Dr Gabrielle Tracy McClelland
|Position||R&KT lead - Nursing/Senior Lecturer|
|Department||School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership|
Research Interests (key words only)
Physical and mental health, substance misuse, sexual exploitation (youth and adult), social inclusion, Cochrane reviews, systematic literature reviews, qualitative and mixed-methods research and ethics.
Saudat Adeka (2012 - ongoing) - full-time PhD student
Research focus: Sustainability of a Healthier Workplace in the Achievement of Millenium Development Goals (MDGs) in Nigeria
Sabo Dagona (2014 - ongoing) full-time PhD student
Research focus: Pre-operative anxiety reduction
Robert Barrowcliff (2014 - ongoing) part-time PhD student
Research focus: Improving the recognition of autism spectrum disorders in patients with borderline personality disorder
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Programme leader (co) - MSc in Nursing Studies-Dubai
Module leader: Undertaking a Systematic Review (Level 7) (University of Bradford and Dubai)
Module leader: Final stage dissertation (level 7) (Dubai)
Involvement in health and research modules across all levels of academic credit
Initiated and facilitate problem based learning sessions to undergraduate student nurses
Masters (level 7) PGR students
Personal Academic Tutor to students in Dubai on MSc in Nursing Programme
Dr Gabrielle McClelland is a senior lecturer in health with an extensive range of health services management experience and a professional background in both physical and mental health nursing. Gabrielle has set up and led multi disciplinary and inter professional health teams in Bradford, including the Bradford Homelessness team and Bradford Community drug and alcohol team.
Located in the School of Nursing, Faculty of Health, Gabrielle is the Research and Knowledge Transfer lead (Nursing), with a remit to build capacity and capability amongst staff in the School (fractional post). Gabrielle also line manages and supports a team of 13 lecturers. As a member of the School of Nursing management team, Gabrielle deputises for the Head of Division periodically and contributes to the strategic and operational management of the School of Nursing.
As a research active member of staff, Gabrielle also has a keen interest in systematic reviews and is a trained Cochrane review author and a reviewer with the Cochrane Schizophrenia group. Gabrielle also reviews for several journals and books editors.
Gabrielle is School of Health Studies Research and Knowledge Transfer committee vice chair and deputises for the ADRKT occasionally. Examples of external collaborations include Public Health England, Clinical Research Nurses, membership of the Bradford Institute for Health Research, Mental Health Nurse Academics (UK), Dubai simulation Centre. With a keen interest in research ethics, Gabrielle is on the School of Health and International Social Sciences and Management ethics panel.
In terms of quality assurance, Gabrielle is an accredited reviewer of pre-registration nursing programmes for the Nursing and Midwifery Council and an HEI external examiner.
In 2008, Gabrielle was selected for the University's 'Talent for Leadership' program and has held previous appointments on Senate, Council and the School Assembly.
(2011) PhD in Nursing
(2005) MSc Research Methods for the Social Sciences (merit), University of Bradford
(2002) MSc Health Professional Education and NMC approved Practice Educator, University of Huddersfield
(1997) BA (honours) Degree Community Health, University of Bradford
(1990) Registered General Nurse, Leicestershire Health Authority
(1988) Registered Mental Nurse, Leeds Western Health Authority
(1985) State Enrolled Nurse, Bradford Health Authority
Research training undertaken
- Vitae leadership in action for researchers (March 2014) 3 days
- PhD (part-time) University of Bradford entitled: Meeting the health needs of young people involved in or vulnerable to sexual exploitation.
- Master of Research Methods for the Social Sciences, Economic Social Research Council approved (Merit). Distinction awarded for dissertation.
- Ethics in Research workshop. Graduate School, University of Bradford
- Ethics in Research training, York
- PhD supervisors training, University of Bradford
- Funding opportunities and writing a grant proposal, BIHR
- Developing successful grant applications for public health research, West Yorkshire Comprehensive Local Research Network
- Anti-Discriminatory Research Practice, University of Bradford
- Research Report Writing Graduate School, University of Bradford
- EndNote for Researchers, University of Bradford
- Getting started with statistics, University of Hertfordshire
- Patient and Public Involvement in Research (University of Salford)
Training undertaken in literature and systematic reviews:
- UK Cochrane Centre workshop series for review authors: Systematic review protocol, Methods section of the protocol, Analysis methods for systematic reviews (11-13.09.12)
- Evidence synthesis of qualitative research in Europe annual follow up day (ESQUIRE) (2012)
- Evidence synthesis of qualitative research in Europe annual follow up day (ESQUIRE) (2011)
- Evidence synthesis of qualitative research in Europe (ESQUIRE) 3 days (2010)
- Developing a proposal for a systematic review 1 day workshop, National Institute for Health Service Research for Yorkshire and the Humber (2010).
- York NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination 4 day course (2008)
- External Examiner: University of Salford
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Accredited reviewer of Nursing Programmes
- Equality Impact Assessor, Faculty of Health Studies
- Ethics Panel member: Faculty of Health & International Social Sciences and Management
- Born in Bradford Advocacy & Scrutiny committee (2008 - 2011)
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
- Journal Reviewer
- Cochrane Reviewer
- UK Mental Health Nurse Academic Group member
- National Working Group for Sexually Exploited Children and Young People member
- Tobacco and Alcohol Control and Dental Team group (NHS Bradford and Airedale
- Royal College of General Practitioner approved Alcohol trainer
- Royal College of General Practitioner Alcohol trainer
(2014-15) Cultural influences on the adoption of simulation education and training as an educational innovation amongst health care professionals: literature review. Dubai-Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor Medical Simulation Centre. Horne M, O’Donnell P, Irving D.
(2013-15) Bradford Bridge Recovery Service Digital Engagement study; the impact of digital engagement on substance use treatment success: Public Health England. Joint Commissioning Services for Substance Misuse, Bradford District
(2014-15) GENOVATE Associate co-leading Gender Equality Change Academy Team to undertake gender equality project across the University of Bradford
(2014) Experiences and outcomes amongst undergraduate health higher education students with protected characteristics: literature review. On behalf of the Dean of Faculty of Health. with Dearnley C, Horne M, Raynsford J, Irving D.
(2014-15) Impact of entry criteria on pre-registration nursing student outcomes-An observational cohort study. (mentoring Nursing team to do this research)
- Dubai-Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor Medical Simulation Centre
- Public Health England
- Bradford Institute for Health Research
- Bradford District Care Trust Research Strategy Group
- Cochrane Collaboration Qualitative Synthesis Methods Group
- Mental Health Qualitative Research Network
- Joint Commissioning Team for Substance Misuse -Bradford District
- Bridge Recovery Service-Bradford
Chapters in Books
McClelland GT (2013 - in press) Altered States. In: A Torn (ed). Psychology for Nurses.
McClelland, G.T., Horne, M., Dearnley, C.A., Raynsford, J. and Irving, .D (2014 - submitted) Experiences and outcomes amongst undergraduate health higher education students with protected characteristics. Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture,
McClelland, G.T. (2013) Youth Sexual Exploitation (United Kingdom): Managing Health Needs, Alongside Criminal Justice Interventions. Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture, 3 (S1), pp.247-276. doi: 10.1002/jpoc.21071
McClelland, G.T. and Cavanagh, N.J. (2009) The development of a mental health service within a youth offending team. Mental Health Today, July/August, pp.22-25
McClelland, G.T. and Newell, R. (2008) A qualitative study of the experiences of mothers involved in street-based prostitution & problematic substance use. Journal of Research in Nursing, 13 (5), pp.437-447.
McClelland, G.T. (2008) Westminster Health Forum Keynote Seminar transcript. Mental Health - New Horizons after the National Service Framework, July p.67.
McClelland, G.T. (2006) Caring for problem drug users. Nursing Times, 102 (20), pp.26-28
McClelland, G.T. (2005) How to manage opiate dependence & withdrawal. Nursing Times, 101 (37), pp.30-32.
McClelland, G.T. (2005) Effects & management of crack cocaine dependence. Nursing Times, 101 (29), pp.26-27.
McClelland, G.T. (2005) Screening for hazardous or harmful alcohol consumption: the use of brief interventions in the primary care setting. Nurse2Nurse Magazine, 4 (11), pp.43-46.
McClelland, G.T. (2005) Opening doors for alcohol treatment. Drink & Drugs Magazine, December, pp.10-11.
McClelland, G.T. (2013) Children and Adolescents with sexually harmful behaviour. Invited key note speaker. University of Central Lancashire
McClelland, G.T. (2011) Poster Presentation. Sex work post graduate research conference, University of Leeds.
McClelland, G.T. (2010) Poster Presentation. National Working Group for Sexually Exploited Children and Young People conference Youth offending, sexual exploitation and trafficking. London.
McClelland, G.T. (2010) Poster Presentation. West Yorkshire Child Sexual Exploitation conference Leeds.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) National Working Group for Sexually Exploited Young People. Keynote speaker and workshop facilitator. Safe & Sound Conference, Derby.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Adolescent Emotional Well-Being & Mental Health Conference, Centre for Service Improvement, Leeds.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Alcohol use in the UK. Kuopio University, Finland.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Alcohol screening and brief interventions: Promoting Action on Clinical Effectiveness, Primary care. Bradford and Airedale Primary Care Trust, University of Bradford.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Collaborations in Health & Social care: R & KT & education conference SOH, showcase oral and poster presentation University of Bradford.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Oral and poster presentation. Faculty of Health studies showcase, University of Bradford.
McClelland, G.T. (2009) Concurrent Workshop. Royal College of Nursing International Nursing Research Conference, Harrogate.
McClelland, G.T. (2006) Concurrent workshop. Royal College of Nursing International Nursing Research Conference.