Dr PB Anand
|Position||Reader in Environmental Economics and Public Policy|
|Department||Peace Studies and International Development|
|Telephone||+44 (0) 1274 233957|
Research Interests (key words only)
Environmental economics, sustainable human development, environmental valuation and innovations to address intrinsic values, human right to water, institutional economics of governance and accountability issues, BRICS with special emphasis on China and India. Post conflict infrastructure development; and global public goods
Teaching and Supervisory Responsibilities
Joint Winner National Teaching Award in the category ‘Student Nominated Award’ for teaching excellence, The Economics Network of the Higher Education Academy -2005
Chancellor’s Award for Distinguished Teaching, University of Bradford- 2001
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (since 2005
Dr Anand has designed and successfully delivered several executive and post-experience programmes. At present, the courses he delivers include:
Environmental economics, sustainable development
Public policy analysis and management
Project appraisal with focus on environmental valuation
He has been involved in validation and quality assurance (as external expert) with regard to postgraduate programmes in various UK universities in the fields of:
Corporate environmental strategy
Tourism and sustainability
Public policy/ public administration/ Public sector governance
Doctoral Students Supervised:
Anthony Albert Adomako (2003) Community based forest management and conflicts: A case of Ghana
Hyoung J Kaun (2004) Valuing the recreational benefits of Soyang Dam (2004)
Sam Kwok Fu Wong (2004) - Community participation of mainland Chinese migrants in Hong Kong – rethinking agency, institutions and authority in social capital theory
Kifle Asfaw Wondemu (2009) Rural roads and Poverty Reduction
Dr Anand is a specialist in environmental economics and public policy with a focus on the interface of urban economy, environment and sustainability.
Dr Anand has held various leadership positions including as the Head of Centre for International Development at Bradford (2010-2015). Currently he is the PI of a three year British Academy funded project on 'infrastructure governance for inclusive, smart and sustainable cities' (jointly with Prof Rajan of IIT Madras, India). He was the team leader and principal author of the Mongolia National Human Development Report 2011 titled 'From vulnerability to sustainability' for UNDP.
Previously, he had co-organised and led two international workshops at Cambridge (2006 and 2009) and a major international conference at Bradford (2011). He serves as elected member of the Senate (2007-2010 and 2013-15) and elected member of senate on the University Council (2015).
National Human Development Report of Mongolia 2011 titled ‘From vulnerability to sustainability: environment and human development’ (principal author): UNDP, Mongolia. This two year research work by a team of over 21 researchers and scientists culminated in the report being launched by the Prime Minister of Mongolia on 23rd June 2011.
Principal Organiser of a three day international conference on ‘Making development inclusive: MDGs and beyond’ - January 26-28, 2011 at the University of Bradford –attended
Team leader and programme director, knowledge transfer programme of executive education for senior staff of China Development Bank (since 2007)
Programme director, Chevening Fellowship programme of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Reform, regulation and public service provision (2009) and Delivering economic and regulatory reform (2010)
Organised a Workshop on ‘Markets, governance and human development’ at Robinson College, Cambridge, jointly with Des Gasper and Miriam Teschl in July 2009.
Designed and conducted a study for the evaluation of ‘Aim 4- right to be heard’ for Oxfam GB (2009)
Specialist consultant - design and conduct of household surveys for understanding socio-economic well-being of communities in remote mountain regions in the Pamirs of Tajikistan for the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (2007)
Principal investigator on project ‘Sharing water peacefully: Understanding when collective action for sharing water works and why’ - with a focus on River Cauvery dispute in India - supported by a Small research grant of the British Academy (SG 37399)
Dr Anand is a Fellow of the Human Development and Capability Association (since 2010) and the Convenor of the Environment and Ethics study group of the Development Studies Association (since 1999).
He is also actively involved in local level initiatives to promote a better understanding among different faith communities and in particular in exploring the role of values in sustainability.
Anand P.B. (2010) Scarcity, entitlements and the economics of water supply in developing countries, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar [Hardback edition: December 2007]
Articles and Contributions to Books:
- Anand PB (2013) Climate change and water: Impacts to human health and consumption. Asia-Pacific Human Development Report Background Papers Series 2012/15. UNDP.
- Anand PB (2013) Every drop counts: assessing aid for water and sanitation, UNU-WIDER Research Paper 2013/025, Helsinki: WIDER.
- Addison T., P. B. Anand (2012) WP/056 Aid and Infrastructure Financing: Emerging challenges with a focus on Africa, UNU-WIDER, WIDER Working Paper, 2012/56
- Anand P.B. (2012) Environmental valuation, chapter forthcoming in Weiss J and Potts D (ed) Handbook of project appraisal, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
- Anand P.B. (2012) Addressing Infrastructure Needs in Post-Conflict Reconstruction: An Introduction to Alternative Planning Approaches, forthcoming in Jensen D and Lonergan S (2012) Assessing and restoring natural resources in post-conflict peace building, on behalf of ELI and UNEP - London: Earthscan
- Anand P.B.(2011) Human rights and local governance: an assessment, forthcoming in Special Issue on Human Rights, Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, 12,1,135-152.
- Anand PB, Gasper D and Teschl M (2010) Markets, governance and human development: Introduction, special issue, Revue de Philosophie Economique, 10,2,3-10
- Anand P.B. (2008) Achieving water and sanitation Millennium Development Goal, chapter 4 in McGillivray M. (ed) Achieving Millennium Development Goals, London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Anand P.B. (2007) Right to water and access to water: an assessment, Journal of International Development, 19,4, 511-526, April-May.
- Anand P.B. (2007) Capability, sustainability, and collective action: an examination of a river dispute, The Journal of Human Development, 8,1,109-132.
- Anand P.B. (2007) Semantics of success or pragmatics of progress? An assessment of India’s progress with drinking water supply, The Journal of Environment and Development, 16,1, 32-57.
- Anand P.B. (2006) The Millennium Development Goal 7: An assessment of progress with respect to water and sanitation-Legacy, Synergy, Complacency or Policy?, WIDER Research Paper RP1/2006, Helsinki: UNU/WIDER. (forthcoming as chapter in McGillivray (ed) Millennium Development Goals, London: Palgrave Macmillan).
- Anand P.B. (2005) Global public goods; project appraisal; social development; collective action – articles in Forsyth T. (ed) Routledge Encyclopedia of International Development, London: Routledge
- Anand P.B. (2005) Getting infrastructure priorities right in post-conflict reconstruction, Research paper RP2005-42, Helsinki: World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU/WIDER) (forthcoming as a chapter in T Addison (ed), Making Peace Work, London: Palgrave Macmillan.)
- Anand P.B. (2005) Who pays and how much for global public goods, ACP EU Courier, 202, 20-21.
- Anand P.B. (2004) The political economy of water scarcity and issues of inequality, entitlements and identities: A tale of two cases from southern India, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, 3,2,115-132
- Anand P.B. (2004) Financing the provision of global public goods, World Economy, 27,2,215-237.
- Anand P.B. (2004) Water and identity: An analysis of the Cauvery River Dispute, BCID - Research Paper number 3, Bradford Centre for International Development, University of Bradford.
- Anand P.B. (2003) Introduction, Policy Arena on the theme of Environmental Resources: Conflict and Co-operation, Journal of International Development, 15, 2,
- Anand P.B. (2003) From conflict to co-operation: Some design issues for local collective action institutions in cities, Journal of International Development, 15,2,
- Anand P.B. (2003) Distribution Issues in Water Projects, chapter 13 in Potts D., Ryan P. and Toner A. (ed), Development Planning and Poverty Reduction, Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Anand P.B. (2002) Consumer Preferences for Water Supply? An Application of Choice Models to Urban India, Discussion Paper 2001-145, UNU-WIDER Discussion Papers Series, The United Nations University, World Institute for Development Economics Research, Helsinki.
- Anand P.B. (2001) Water ‘Scarcity’ in Chennai, India: Institutions, Entitlements and Aspects of Inequality, Discussion Paper number 2001-140, UNU-WIDER Discussion Papers Series, The United Nations University, World Institute for Development Economics Research, Helsinki.
- Anand P.B. (2000) Co-operation and the Urban Environment: An Exploration, The Journal of Development Studies, 36, 5, 30-58.
- Anand P.B., (with Perman R.) (2000) Environment and Development, guest editorial to a special issue of Journal of Economic Studies, 27, 1 and 2, 1-8.
- Anand P.B. (1999) Waste Management in Madras Revisited, Environment and Urbanisation, 11, 2, 161-176.
- Anand P.B. (1999) India’s Economic Reforms: A Review, Journal of Economic Studies, 26, 2/3.
- Anand P.B. (with Perman R.) (1999) Preferences, Inequity and Entitlements: Some Issues from a CVM Study of Water Supply in Madras, India, Journal of International Development, 11,1, 27-46.
Anand, P.B. (2012) Transition to green economy: presentation given at ILO-UNDP meeting, Tokyo in May 2012.
Anand P.B. (2011) Reflections on the national human development report of Mongolia, at the Annual Conference of Human Development and Capability Association, The Hague, September 2011.
- Anand P.B. (2011) Climate change, vulnerability and human development in Mongolia, paper presented at the Conference on Making Development Inclusive: MDGs and Beyond, January 26-28, 2011 – University of Bradford.
Anand P.B. (2010) Being fair in slicing the air? Revisiting challenges of responsibility for climate change: To be presented at the forthcoming Annual Conference of the Development Studies Association, 5th November 2010, Westminster, London.
Anand P.B. (2010) Human development and natural resources: a case of Mongolia, at Workshop on Twenty years of human development index, St Edmund’s College and UNDP, at Cambridge, January 2010.
Anand P.B. (2009) Revisiting natural resource curse: an analysis of Sachs Warner data and including human development indicators, paper presented at DSA Study group Workshop on Markets, governance and human development, Cambridge: Robinson College.
Anand P.B. (2009) From scarcity to capability: Assessing issues related to access to water, Symposium on Future of Water, Royal Society of Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry Group Distinguished Guest Lecture Panel, March 2009.
Anand P.B. (2008) From insecurity to trust: exploring the role of ‘social governance’ in Asian cities, paper presented at the UNU/WIDER Conference on ‘Beyond the tipping point: Asian development in an urban world’, Kolkata, India, December 2008.
Anand P.B. (2008) Agency, governance and human development: an exploration, Human Development and Capability Association Annual Conference, New Delhi, 10-13 September 2008.
Anand P.B. (2007) Identity, human rights and access to water, paper at the Workshop on Identity, University of York: May 2007 (Graduate School of Politics, Philosophy and Economics).
Anand PB (2012) Revisiting Cauvery - Op-ed article in the Indian Express, October 22, 2012